Thread: NFL 2019 Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 05:39 PM   #95
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Jerry didn't get what he deserved until he got exposed.
Few get what they deserve before being exposed. How many are sentenced before accused, tried, and convicted? Sure, some of the rich and famous get hammered in the court of public opinion, but this applies to both athletes and owners. The higher the profile, the bigger the hammer.

Quote:
Call me skeptical in thinking the rest of the NFL had no idea he had multiple incidents that he hush-hushed. And the NFL allowed him to put the stipulation that any buyer of the team would have to keep his statue outside the stadium.
Sure. But that's a different subject and not an indication of owners being treated different than athletes. Much like racism among athletes used to be condoned, sexism by athletes has been condoned for many, many years. It's only recently changing.

Quote:
And as crazy as it sounds, I'm in the minority in thinking Sterling should have been kicked out. Is he a racist? Sure. and they could have thrown him out because of the many discrimination violations he incurred with his properties. But instead, they waited until he said some mean words in the privacy of his own home. I may despise racism, but I think a man ought to be able to say what he wants in his own house.
No argument there.

Quote:
Irsay, Richardson & Sterling didn't get punished because of bad acts. They got punished because of bad publicity. So yeah, when public outcry gets bad enough, when the news cycle is slow, the 1% might get the "hammer" thrown at them. And what was that "hammer". Selling their teams for 10 figures. Yeah, cruel & unusual punishment there.
Well, you're basically saying they got punished because they got caught. Isn't that always the case? At any rate...

- Irsay suspended for DUI
- Richardson forced to sell due to grab-azz in the corporate office
- Sterling forced to sell because of private racist statements

Are you suggesting these punishments weren't suitable? Rather than suspension, should Irsay have instead been forced to sell because of addiction and/or bad judgement behind the wheel? Should have Richardson and Sterling been forced to turn over their teams for no compensation?

And if part of your argument is that owners (and other rich) get (or can acce$$) special treatment not available to us common folk, sure. But can't the same also be said for the athlete? I can say with absolute certainty that no NFL team would put up with any of A Brown's antics if his talent level was commensurate with a 4th or 5th receiver.
thehef is online now   Reply With Quote