View Single Post
Old 04-01-2019, 10:38 AM   #10
Hockey13Playa
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
lots here so -- are you choosing to focus on league results or individual results? i have various ways to do both below that are guaranteed to work well. they are not always the same as you can see with the home runs.

autocalculating may fix things too, if you did not autocalculate modifiers... test that and see if it reduces HR... more likely it's because HR total is ~6k? you will see 60-70+ hr guys in that environment fairly often, i would guesstimate. if you don't want that, it is a bit more complicated to fix, but certainly doable.

-------------------

if you want fewer homeruns, you'll have to adjust some other things to make BABIP add up properly after you reduce # of Home runs in total. and any other interrelated state i can't think of off the top of my head.

normally i will suggest always stickign to adjusting modifiers... but, if you plan to make use of autocalculate, you will always have to eyball the adjustment for HRs modifier, since you want fewer than the total allows individuals to reach. autocalc will always recalibrate it to the League Total value.. which are results you don't like, from what you say.

the totals will scale... so, it is of no concern if you use 100K AB and totals relating to 100kAB or 165k AB and totals in proportion to that number of AB etc etc.

so, if you want the same rates of various things league-wide, that is what you will get. however, player distribution in a 20team league and a 30 team league may not be exactly the same curve -- or at least more volatility in the 20T league for sure. meaning you'll have a deeper valley and potentially higher peak years. this may result in elite players getting a larger or smaller chunk when compared to a 30T league etc etc... difficult to know by eyballing it without exact knowledge of all the dynamics invovled in the scaling and creation of players per year.

as always, you'll have a choice to mimic totals or individual results.. the two are not always the same LT/LTM combinations.

i can tell you ~5000 home runs should give you an occasional 60hr guy, but it should not happen very often at all... maybe with some great luck you can see more than i have. i think 2-3 hit 60+ in 150+ years? that's a ~.258ba and ~5000hr league. i use custom totals in every league i create, but they have to add up. they are very similar to defaults, but lower k's lower hr's and a higher BA.

use a spreadshett ot calculate slash and babip from the other stats as you type them in... adjust the other stats to get slash and babip where you want it.

sac flies are not known ahead of time... but, if you stick to to a 30team ~165K ab total, then you can guesstimate this to be 1050-1250 or so (i'd suggest ~1150-1200). you could see this in hindsight after 20-30+ years of collecting data, lol, but not at inception, unfortunately, so some calculatons may be slightly off, but ~50-100 out of 165,500 isn't so bad.

i recommend sticking to the 165500 ab total, or whatever they use, so that you can use RL data to figure out ratio of various things like doubles and triples etc more intuitively. if you choose to adjust these things to focus on individual results rather than league total results, it will make that whole process more familiar for you. one less step to convert to new AB total -- it scales the same no matter what if same ratio/proportions.

no worries of using 30T LTs in a 20T league at all. Do make sure to autocalculate the modifiers once you make any changes to totals, though. if you don't adjust totals, remember to adjust any Modifier after autocalc that you want to deviate... in this case reduce HR by some X%... once you hone that down it should stay consistent reduction any time you auto-calculate the modifiers.

either way, modifiers may take some tweaking over time.. also, fictionally created players are slightly different than what will be created in draft over time... it's better to pre-date league and run it for ~20+ years, then delete historical data and make it seem like it's a brand new league on your start date -- but with a robust FA and nearly all players are from a draft class, not initial seed players -- this also benefits contracts and the entire financial system in general. avoid all the initial filling out of organizations based on AI GMs, so to speak.

if you don't pre-date it is not a cataclysmic effect. Simply autocalculate modifers every few years or so... more often in middle of the transition than at extremes. first 3-5 years should be fine... then maybe every 3 years for a couple times, then back to 3-5 years toward end of first 20-25years.

if you do choose to pre-date, you can start at any date of the calendar year you want... simply delete history and news and it's (nearly) just like a brand new league... in all ways that will matter.

you don't have to start from scratch. hopefully you made a template during creation? start doing that if not right before you "create league". making a template from an existing league is possible too.. i assume it'd take care of B-days with a predate, but if not, you could delete all those players and re-fill the league and MiLs and let it run for 20+ years ("Functions" under League settings - available actions)... all those players will be gone anyway and no different than replacing seed players.
NoOne thank you very much for taking the time to respond and give me a nice detailed post. I am not going to lie this post scared the heck out of me This seems way above my knowledge on what it is I "should be doing". I do have a template I created though with all the settings, teams, logos, jerseys, etc that I want. I made the template right after I created the league so it will load all the ballparks and info I want as well. So It will make for easy testing, but beyond that I am clueless.

I am very new to the whole modifiers and what not so I don't know what it is I should really be doing to achieve the stats I am looking for. I can tell you I am looking more so for individual results, I would like to see these totals, averages, etc comparable to that of present day MLB players.

Last edited by Hockey13Playa; 04-01-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Hockey13Playa is offline   Reply With Quote