Thread: Exit Velocity?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 06:12 PM   #143
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrog2000 View Post
I continually am pouring through the statcast data on baseball savant's website. You give me a player name, and I can tell you a lot more than you can instantly, without having to go through every video of every at bat. I can tell you if he's slumping or unlucky or doing something completely unsustainable in any short amount of time, when sample sizes are too small to determine anything for regular statistics. I can find severely underperforming players and trade for them on a fantasy baseball team, knowing that his performance will almost assuredly improve. I can trade players who will never be able to keep up with what they are doing while their value is highest.

Then you shouldn't be here, you should be the GM of a real big league club what with all of your knowledge of players from reading websites and your amazing ability to predict the future. I don't play fantasy baseball and never have, I did the real thing for most of my life. I enjoy watching baseball because I loved playing the game and appreciate the beauty of it. If I wanted to pour over stats all day I'd have become an actuary, not a pitcher. I'm in Chicago, I'm a Cub fan. I watch nearly every game because I love watching baseball so I saw most of Kris Bryant's season last year. I knew something was off with him because he wasn't hitting the ball as far as often. He had an injured shoulder, he clearly was not a 100%. Did I need statcast to tell me that? You tell me all knowing one because clearly watching a guy play all season and looking at his power numbers to date (drop off in HR rate and SLG% which I could look up in a few seconds) won't tell you what statcast will. In your world we must have EV or there'd no other way to see that Bryant was not hitting the ball as hard and as often as he was in the past because in your world there are no other tools that will tell you the same thing.

Quote:

You go ahead and only read your box scores and see who is better informed between the two of us.

Well clearly you are. I, on the other hand, apparently know nothing.

Last edited by Curve Ball Dave; 03-25-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Curve Ball Dave is offline   Reply With Quote