View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 11:23 AM   #91
bigMatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djday45 View Post
CONDITIONING - 9. the very definition of a head case, Floyd was so erratic it was untrue. The funny thing is again post title he became much more settled down in his performances and far less up and down. My theory is that D'Amato's insistence on over protecting him so zealously in his championship reign really effected Patterson mentally. He was basically a very brave man and wanted to take on all comers but was stopped by Cus who refused to fight such dangerous contenders as Machen, Valdez, Folley and of course ducked Liston for years until it became a joke and Flloyd insisted on facing him.
Look at the quality of opposition after the title its a whose who of mid to late 60s heavyweight contenders. I think his managements attitude must of effected his confidence terribly and this bled into his woefully erractic performances as champion.
This is a very interesting observation. Perhaps this should be reflected in D'Amato's ratings as much as, if not more than in Patterson's? Because if this theory is true (and I think I'm buying it), it might be fun to sim a universe where Patterson dumps D'Amato at some point and signs on with someone else.
bigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote