View Single Post
Old 05-20-2019, 04:44 PM   #7
jeffw3000
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw3000 View Post
I do not think it is reflected in OOTP, but it does seem that pitchers that throw it both last longer and do not seem to me to have as many injuries. Hoyt Wilhalm pitched until he was 49, Joe and Phil Niekro pitched until they were 43 and 48 respectively, Tim wakefield pitched until he was 44, Tom Candiotti pitched until he was 41, RA Dickey pitched until he was 42. Most of all you notice most of these players were very effective into their 40s. RA Dickey won the Cy Young at 37. Phil Niekro had a remarkable stretch of 14 consecutive seasons pitching 200+ innings. Should have probably been 20 seasons if not for the strike. From 1986 to 1993 Candiotti threw 200+ innings every season. Similar to Niekro his streak was interrupted by another strike. Hough started his streak in 1984 when he became a starter. Lasted until 1989 when he was 41. Steven Wright, the only active knuckeballer, has had several injuries in his career, among other problems like suspension, but I do not feel you can count him, becauase those injuries are not arm or shoulder injuries.

It is hard not to look at the knuckleballers in the past and not determine that they both have longer careers and healthier careers in general.
Another pitcher I did not mention had 4 consecutive 300+ innings, and a 5th when he threw 291.1 innings. His career did get ended by an injury, but the injury was a line drive in the knee.
jeffw3000 is offline   Reply With Quote