Thread: Sumo
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 11:29 PM   #20
statfreak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONN CHRIS View Post
Day 9 - Awesome win by Tochinoshin today after giving up a double inside grip early which is often the kiss of death. Hakuhou rolls on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf-puSTFGKU
That performance by Tochinoshin was a reminder what he can accomplish when he is healthy, though I don't believe he is 100% at the moment. To dig deep and manage to win that match was fantastic. He should have no problem getting to 8 wins and keeping his Ozeki (Champion) status.

Ichinojo beating Goeido was a pleasant surprise as I am still a sucker for thinking Ichinojo can be a dominant force when he wants to be. He'll probably get to 9 wins and settle for that which means he will go 1-5 over the next six days. I hope not and he challenges for the yusho (tournament win), but I've seen his act too many times. He has Takayasu on day 10. Since January 2018, Ichinojo is 4-2 against the Ozeki.

Mitakeumi is still feeling the effects of that knee injury from the January Basho. Probably would have been better served to sit this one out and come back healthy and strong in May.

Hakuho will try to go 10-0 when he faces Tamawashi on day 10. Hakuho was also 10-0 after 10 days in January before losing 3 straight days and withdrawing.

Can't believe 9 days are done already. The tournaments go too fast and take too long to get to the next one.