Thread: Sumo
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2019, 12:03 PM   #1
statfreak
Hall Of Famer

Sumo

ConnChris and I enjoy an affinity for Sumo and with the March Basho set to kick off on Sunday, it seemed like a good time to start this thread. Last Basho we had a small thread in the Off Topic Debates forum, but that hardly seemed the appropriate place.

I know most people in the West don't have an appreciation for the sport and I respect that. I have been a Sumo fan since the early 1990s with my interest in the sport coinciding with Akebono's ascension to the top and Yokozuna status.

If you care to learn more about Sumo, there is a very nice introduction to Sumo thread over on the Sherdog forums. There are a lot of ads and annoyances at that forum, but the Sumo introduction is very good IMO.

There are also several very good YouTube channels where you can watch each day's matches and/or highlights.

There is some intrigue with this Basho with only two Yokozuna now that the former Kisenosato retired mid-January Basho. Looking forward to those chasing Ozeki status and seeing if Tochinoshin is healthy enough to retain his Ozeki status in March.