View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 01:25 PM   #1
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Using a spreadsheet to pick award winners

Not all winners, just the top batter and pitcher awards.
  • Select top six candidates based on OPS and Wins (yes, I am a traditionalist and relievers need to be filtered out).
  • Rank the players in those categories and several others: 1 point for the worst in category up to 6 points for the best.
  • Apply weight points to ranks in each category according to what I think are most to least important aspects of performance.
  • Multiply ranking times weight to calculate weighted points.
  • Add across and rank the totals. 1-2-3 are win, place, show.
Note that there was a tie for the National League Pitching Ace Award. Actually, Magee would have won the award if his HR/9 was a "pure" zero. He gave up 1 home run while O'Dwyer gave up none (it's 1906 in my game). The spreadsheet usually wouldn't show it - I calculated and entered three-decimal fractions for two guys who were showing "0.0" in the OOTPB report - but Magee's HR/9 was 0.025 and that one home run cost him the award, it was that close.

As time goes on, I will not have to deal with such minute numbers for HR/9 but this time, every decimal place counted. As it was, since they tied, I gave the award to O'Dwyer for his historic 30-game win season.

Feel free to pick this apart. I'm sure it's subject to all sorts of criticisms but I like it because it takes WAR out of the equation. I am not relying on the game to even present the candidates, much less choose the award for me. The game can do other awards on its own, subject to my review, but these "Big Two" deserve the spreadsheet approach. Fortunately, the data can be exported from customized views, copied, and pasted here.

While I will not be responding to commentary, I would be interested to see how other people handle this type of thing with spreadsheets. Please feel free to share your own methods.
Attached Images
Image Image 

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 09-09-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote