View Single Post
Old 12-26-2014, 10:30 PM   #30
MajorSupreme
Minors (Rookie Ball)

When it comes to building a team, I think large veteran impact is important. I'd like to sign a veteran journeyman QB of the likes of Kyle Orton, Josh McCown, or Brian Hoyer and have him start for (half of) a season while a younger quarterback develops. And a personal want at QB would be more of a pocket QB with some mobility that could turn into a Roethlisberger. So a young Blake Bortles is my type of guy. I've always loved it when backup QBs get in the game, so I always want to keep the backup as a guy who could start on another team.

At running back, I prefer a two-to-three back system like the Patriots use. With the 2011-14 Pats, guys like Stevan Ridley and LeGarrett Blount took the majority of snaps on 1st and 2nd down, while speedster/receiving threats Danny Woodhead and Shane Vereen handled the 3rd down responsibilities. And change-of-pace backs like Brandon Bolden or Jonas Gray for when starters exited the game for fatigue were excellent to have. So one-to-two power/inside running backs paired with a couple of speed guys and receiving backs would be a must. Receivers would be preferably tall all round, the one exception would be the slot. Speed is not a major factor, for the team would work in a west-coast type offense, based on short-medium routes with focus on a good run-game.

Being it is a passing league, an emphasis on the secondary is always important. I'd like to build around young-veterans at the safety positions, with shutdown and physical corners like Darrelle Revis, Richard Sherman, or Brandon Browner. Good coverage linebackers like Jamie Collins (you can see I'm a big Pats fan haha) would play outside, while a veteran linebacker like Karlos Dansby would play middle. I prefer a 4-3 defense, with strong pass rushing DEs and bull rushing DTs.

My kicker doesn't have to have a powerful leg, just good accuracy and consistency. Punter has to be able to pin team deep in their own territory.