View Single Post
Old 03-01-2015, 10:20 AM   #15
Anthropoid
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Strategy: Is my Manager Brilliant or Idiotic?

I've been perusing Wikis page on batting order and developed my own little 'system' to decide who to put in the #1, #2, #3 and #4+ slots.

The thing I'm puzzled by is, when I ask my manager (who is one of the highest rated in the game, with Outstanding ratings on all indices) he gives me a lineup that is almost exactly the opposite of what I'd think (based on my read of the logic in the wiki page, which seems quite logical to me) would be the best lineup.

ADDIT:

Okay, so my understanding of the 'standard' strategy for lineups:

#1 "Leadoff" Batter: most important thing for this guy is to get on base. As such, weighted On-base percentage is probably his most important stat. Related to that, a low Strike Out %, and a high percentage of Base on Balls and not a bad percentage of Strike outs. Based on this, the formula I've been using to rate my batters in terms of a "Leadoff Index"

(BB% - SO%) * wOBA (expressed as a decimal)

So for example, my estimation of my best player for #1 is John J. McGraw: BB% = 16.7%; SO% = 5.5%; wOBA = 0.398 Leadoff Index (LI) = 4.46.

The next best in my roster is Jimmy Barret with LI = 1.63, followed by Frank Chance with LI = 0.75

The absolute worst is Nap Lajoie with LI = -1.9 and who does my manager want in leadoff?

Charlie Dexter, with LI = -1.03 !?!

As you can see from this page copying my "Lineup Stats" window, Dexter has mediocre plate discipline (BB% and secondarily wOBA being the main indicators of that as far as I can tell), mediocre bat control (SO%), and isn't even a very good hitter (BA = 0.265).

Not only that but right at the moment Dexter has a Day-to-day injury!

What is my manager "thinking"!?

For #2 slot, my sense is that you want someone who is as much like the #1 guy as possible, except also with a low frequency of Ground into Double Plays, and not necessarily as much speed. Most importantly, this guy should be unlikely to strikeout. The formula I've been using to calculate a #2 "Contact Hitter Index" (CHI) is:

(1 / GDP) / SO%
one divided by ground into double plays count, the quantity divided by strikeout %.

In terms of this formula, I calculate the following ratings for my top few players for #2 slot:

(John J. McGraw CHI = 9.1, but he can't exactly bat in the #1 _and_ #2 slot can he)
Bill Hallman CHI = 6.85
Patsy Donovan CHI = 5.3
Jimmy Barret CHI = 4.3

Here there is not as much disagreement b/w me and the manager, he wants to put Jimmy Barret in #2, but relegates Bill Hallman to #8.

For number 3 slot, my understanding is you want "best all-around hitter on the team" (based on the wiki page). What exactly that means I'm not sure, but the formula I came up with was:

OPS (on-base average + slugging index) / SO%

Based on that, I came up with the following estimates for a #3 Index (3I):

(again John J. McGraw is the best with 3I = 13.4, but given he is my best #1, he is excluded from consideration for #3)
Patsy Donovan 3I = 16.4
George Davis 3I = 11.47

The lowest 3I score I come up with is Charlie Dexter 3I = 6.8

The computer wants to put Frank Chance who has a 3I = 8.72, nearly half as good as Patsy Donovan (whom the manager is sticking in the #7 slot).

For #4, my understanding is, it should be a slugger, so I've just put whoever is left in the lineup who has a high SLG.

. . . so that is a lot of detail, but perhaps someone will be an equal or greater statistic geek than me and take an interest in offering any feedback or advice.

Last edited by Anthropoid; 03-01-2015 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Additional Detail
Anthropoid is offline   Reply With Quote