View Single Post
Old 02-26-2015, 08:40 PM   #8
Anthropoid
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Pinch Runners and Pinch Hitters: I do not understand what the computer is going to do with these if I insert players and then do auto plays. I'm playing 1902, prior to the creation of the designated hitter concept (that was in 1970s eh?).

So, I've got my lineup and depth chart put together (well re-put together for the 10th time!). I decided to go by the traditional sorts of batting statistics instead of just the player ratings (#1 high OBP with good plate discipline and bat control; #2 good contact hitter with a low number of "Ground into Double Plays; #3 high SLG; etc.). And I've got my left over active roster players. Some of whom have pretty good batting averages, low rates of strikeout%, and good speed, base running and stealing ratings.

For example, George Merritt (RF but not set as a Utility because his fielding is pretty poor), Jack Doyle (1B and utility to my main 1B John J. Anderson), and Jim Jackson (utility LF) all have pretty good career batting averages and slugging scores.

When and how would the computer decide to insert one of these guys (or a 4th if I listed such) as a pinch hitter? I'm assuming that, a pinch hitter is a substitute for the guy at bat, so from that point on in the game, the pinch hitter must play in the position of the replaced batter, right? So if a catcher is hurt, or is otherwise not good for batting for some reason (??) what use is a pinch hitter who has no experience playing as catcher?

Same thing really for the pinch runner. How does the computer decide to use these guys?

ADDIT: Question about Lineups -> seems like if you change a lineup immediately after a game, but while you are scheduled for a game the next day, it will still use the older lineup for the next game?

Last edited by Anthropoid; 02-27-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Anthropoid is offline   Reply With Quote