View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 05:48 PM   #8
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Meet the Mets! (Oh, come on. I had to.)

So, let's have a look at our boys in blue (and orange), your 2010 New York Mets!
Name:  Picture 5 copy.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  131.3 KB

Johan Santana may not quite have lived up to his two-Cy-Young-Award Minnesota form so far in New York, but despite his making a hefty chunk of $$ ($118 million over the next 5 years), he is not a candidate for the title of The Worst Contract in Mets History. He's a good #1 starter (29-16 so far as a Met) and tends to get better as the season goes on (which probably isn't reflected in the OOTP game engine, but will give me an excuse to stand by Johan if he gets off to a poor start).

John Maine and Mike Pelfrey each have had good years (Maine 15-10 in 2007, Pelfrey 13-11 in '08) and bad (a combined 17-18 last year); I need one of them to mature into a dependable #2 starter, at least. Maine needs to watch his walks while Pelfrey needs to turn his firepower into strikeouts.

Oliver Perez…Ollie, oh, Ollie. After having a great post-season in 2006 (after a terrible regular season that caused the Pirates to first demote him to Indianapolis and then dump him on us as part of the Xavier Nady-Roberto Hernandez trade), Ollie had a fine 2007, winning 15, and a solid 2008. This prompted Omar to give him what was possibly The Worst Contract in Mets History, 3 years at $12 million/yr. Ollie responded to this generosity by having an awful 2009 (3-4, 6.82, 1.92 WHIP). If he doesn't rebound, I'm going to dump him by any means possible.

Jonathon "Born Met" Niese (he was born on the day that the Mets won Game 7 of the 1986 World Series) struggled a bit in his September 2008 call-up (7.07 ERA in 3 starts), but looked good in limited action at the big league level last September (4.24 in 5 starts), and may be ready to stick permanently. Rudy Terrasas thinks he has the best array of talent of any of our starters, except for Johan.

Of course, I'm planning on going with a 4-man rotation and a 10-man staff (Tradition! ), so Niesey may start the season in beautiful downtown Buffalo, anyways. But he's sure to be called up if any of the non-Johan starters falter.

In the bullpen, Manny Acosta was dumped by the Braves after seeing both his ERA (2.28, 3.57, 4.34) and WHIP (1.14, 1.40, 1.71) escalate over the last three seasons. I like his stuff, but he needs to work on his control, and since he has options that most of the rest of the 'pen doesn't, he's a likely candidate to start the year at Buffalo.

With J.J. Putz now a White Sox and Jeremy Reed trying to make the Blue Jays, Sean Green is now all we have to show for the seven players we sent to Seattle/Cleveland in that trade last spring. Oy. He was consistently mediocre last year, taking the hill 79 times and posting a 4.52 ERA and 1.44 WHIP. A proven commodity of sorts, I suppose. But nothing to write home about.

Brooklyn-born Nelson Figueroa remains a sentimental favorite. He did okay (3-8, 4.09, 1.48) in limited duty last year, getting most of his work as a September starter. (The entire Mets rotation was shut down by September in 2009, and the team went through that month with a rotation of Figueroa, Niese, Tim Redding, Pat Misch, and converted bullpenner Bobby Parnell.) I hope Nellie can continue to make the most of his opportunities. He gets only 42% of his outs on the ground, but New Shea Stadium (yeah, I know there's a bank name on it, but I ignore that) is just as cavernous as the original Big Shea was in the outfield, so that's not a problem here.

34-year-old Japanese import Hisanori Takahashi adds a lefty arm to the pen. Don't know what he'll bring, but it won't be tough for him to surpass Ken Takahashi's contributions and earn the title of Best Takahashi Ever, I wouldn't think.

Right-handed set-up duties will be handled by veteran Kiko "Yes, it's Pronounced 'Kick-o', Honestly" Calero, who dazzled in 67 appearances for the Marlins last year (1.95 ERA, 1.10 WHIP) after a 2008 injury ended his time in Oakland. Supposedly has trouble with his control, but if he can duplicate last year's 69/30 K/W ratio, I'll take it.

Lefty set-up goes to fan favorite "Perpetual Pedro" Feliciano, whose durable arm (252 appearances the past 3 seasons) has set franchise records. He'll be a free-agent after the season, so I might want to deal him, if need be.

(Just so you know, the first time through, the bullpen bombed out horribly. Feliciano threw like he had the dead arm he came up with in 2011 for the Yankees in OTL, and I wanted to "kick-o" Calero down the street and had him on waivers by mid-May)

And closing, we have the record-setting Francisco "K-Rod" Rodriguez, who in this timeline hasn't yet punched any relatives or gone through the horrible early 2011 stretch that had fans referring to him as "Krud", so we'll just think happy thoughts and not worry about the $40.5 million we owe him over the next three seasons.

And that's the pitching staff. Next up, the offense. (And offensive it is! Sigh.)

Last edited by Amazin69; 09-26-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Amazin69 is offline   Reply With Quote