View Single Post
Old 11-02-2019, 02:30 AM   #45
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

Morale low, slogging along Sep4

Division 1st, Overall 5th. August was merely bad, teetering on terrible. 12-16 (.429), our first losing month in Diamond. We’re just a hair ahead in a division that’s essentially .500 teams. Magic Number is 23, with 29 games to play. If we clinch at all, it will be late in the season.

The hitters are still sleeping in a freezer, but during August the relief staff was getting shelled regularly. Five men are dragging the New Orleans through this season, and their names are Severino, Greinke, Dean, Mussina, and Sale.

Oh, and the defense is still getting in front of baseballs admirably.

Just not with their bats.

Defense: A- Offense D. That’s a hell of a way to be approaching a playoff run, right guys?

Conclusion: our pitchers can play at the Diamond level, our hitters cannot.

Looking ahead, the schedule isn’t awful for us, though there’s going to be a painful week or two.

Pessimistic Forecast Model says 89 wins. Linear projection says 90. Nearest opponent 82 wins. Yep, if he’s hot for September he can still catch us. Two teams are in range, in fact.

We’re going to get hammered in any playoff tree.

Our latest email says we’ve clinched a wild card (yay). I would really hate sneaking in the back door by wild card.

I would hate worse being promoted up to Perfect (which is still possible). Obviously, we ain’t ready to play in the Mega-whale universe.

It’s going to be a lot of batting cage time for you boys during the off season, win or lose. And one or more of you will be replaced with more reliable personnel, I’m just not sure who yet.

I’m thinking Arenado has to go (I have the weak Arenado card, not the “perfect” one.) But only if I can upgrade the slot. Sandberg is also a possibility. Or shortstop, or Left field.

Lots of PP to upgrade any slot. I don’t want to surrender defense for a stick, only the defense is keeping us in this.

Now I know how Lasorda felt all those years, sneaking into a series against the Yankees with a team built on pitching and defense.

(Generally speaking, the Yankees would yawn and proceed with the pummeling.)