View Single Post
Old 03-26-2019, 07:14 PM   #39
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

1972 Pre-Season Predictions

Opening Day 1972 has arrived and with it the official pre-season predictions.

As was the case in 1971, it is expected that the most dominant teams will be in the MGL, with the SJL predicted winner- the reigning WPK World Champs, the Washington Night Train- finishing with only 93 wins.

The prognosticators believe that 1972 is the year that the Phoenix Speed Devils over-take the Denver Brewers to win the MGL, and they believe Phoenix will be the only team in the WPK to win more than 100 games. As was true in 1971, it is expected that the Los Angeles Spinners will once again finish third, although taking a big step backwards in terms of wins, if the experts are to be trusted.

There is also an expectation that the MGL will be the league with more offensive firepower, which is very different than the first 5-6 years of the WPK, while the SJL is more pitching and defense oriented.

As for Brewers players, the belief is that reigning MGL MVP Jamison Bash will have another solid year at the plate, even at his rather advanced age, as will fellow veteran superstar Ryan Rodgers. As also forecast by the Brewers scouting staff, the feeling is that youngster Bobby Erbakan will break out offensively to become one of the top 10 hitters in the league this season.
As for pitching, only one Brewer is expected to be among the league's best: reigning MGL Pitcher of the Year Cheol-han Lee.

{I should probably note that I forgot until the very last minute to adjust statistical modifiers and these predictions are based upon historical 1972 MLB stats- which is to say, they are very pitcher friendly. The approach I use is to roll a 20-sided die just prior to Opening Day each year to discover what MLB season statistical modifiers should be based upon, with the available range being 1972-1991. This way most years the statistical environment will be one that is pretty middle of the road in terms of MLB history, but with a few real outliers to add a little spice- 1972 and 1987. I forgot to do that before advancing to Opening Day this time. When I did remember to do this process the result was that the league would be based in 1972 on the MLB stats of 1979.}
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote