View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 12:06 PM   #30
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

***The View from Outside the Park***

For those of you who have been following along with this thread for some time (starting in OOTP19 subfolders) you might know that I have been trying to figure out how to approach posts here that live outside the reality of the WPK, glimpses behind the curtain, you might say.

So this is what I'm settling on for now- when I want to post something that is clearly from a more game play perspective with what you might call a divinity view of the WPK universe, I will title it as above.

Now, for those of you who maybe haven't been following along prior to this thread, which continues the action started in OOTP19, a few words about my approach.

First, there is a reason that I chose to share all of this in the Fictional Simulations sub-folder and not in the Dynasty Reports sub-folder. Even though this is a simulation in which I do run a single team, as GM and manager, I do not want to put the word dynasty on it. Simply because creating a dynasty is not my goal. In fact it's a bit troubling to me that my Brewers have won the last three MGL titles and I hope that we will have some losing seasons again soon. Okay, that's not really true, completely. I do enjoy winning more than losing and I do intend to mostly do what is needed to make my team better. But I don't want it to be too easy. And I don't want all of my decisions just to make sense in terms of OOTP play, but would rather they make an organic sense within the fictional reality of the WPK.

In other words, I'm good with not always making the logical decision based upon my (still pretty incomplete) knowledge of how the game works. I want my decisions to also make sense in the context of the imaginary baseball world I am becoming immersed in.

So, for instance, the potential decision I have set up regarding the second base job for the Brewers. It might likely become obvious at some point that the smarter move is to cut ties with the veteran Tanner Yurek and his relatively expensive contract in favor of young prospect Jonathan Koch. But Yurek is a fan favorite and an original Brewer. He's honestly never been one of my favorite players on the team. But within the context of the Denver Brewers and the WPK, within that reality, the fact that the fans would be clamoring for his continued presence on the roster is a factor. (Not just because of Fan Interest ratings, either.) It's not the only factor and it certainly won't keep me from letting him go when the time comes. But I also would never want to ignore it and just play this out with an eye towards always winning at the expense of any thought to what would make sense, narratively, in this alternate baseball reality.

Now likely this is all neither here nor there to you, dear reader, but I just wanted to put it out there in case it helped explain anything going forward.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote