View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

This happens. It is simply how the dynamics of the random debut feature interacts with structure of the game engine.

At this point in your league's development, you have relatively few pitchers in their prime and lots of pitchers taking roster spots simply because they can throw the ball from the mound. The pitchers that are quality pitchers are so much better than the rest of the field that you get these results. That you are starting in the 1870s exacerbates the numeric output due to the historical modifiers.

As your league's players that have been added via the amateur draft mature, you will get a balance of talent (probably in your next season).

The attached clip is from my current random debut league I am logging on this board for my HOF thread. I started this league in 1973 and am using historical modifiers. The single season pitching records from the first 5 years are standing, and will stand, until the completion of the league.

There are work arounds. One is to have extra teams in your initial draft and delete those teams after the draft. The drawback to this is that you will be burning through players, and getting more noteworthy players debuting past their primes.

Another is to have your amateur draft mid season, or even prior to the preseason, but this impacts the historical aspect of the individual players as well as the financial engine. These are not game breaking effects, but when you pull on one part of the spider web, the rest of it changes shape.

Since you are already 5 years in, I wouldn't change the settings of your league to correct this, as it will self correct, very shortly, perhaps for your 1877 season. If not in 1877, it certainly will within the next couple of years.
Attached Images
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote