View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #145
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

RL HOF Ballot 2013

As I am waiting on the class of 2013 to be announced, I thought I would offer my own ballot incorporating the standards in use here, and my own personal biases.

If I had a vote, I would not vote for any steroid player. I know Bonds was a HOFer before he juiced, same for Clemens, but I would not vote for them, this year.

It is helpful to eliminate these players, because I am having trouble limiting myself to the 10 selections the writers are limited to.

"Why the heck are they not in already?"

Jeff Bagwell...saw him a couple times up close in 1991 and was struck by his focus and control at the plate. I had no idea that he would put together the career he did, but he is an absolute no brainer, in my book.

Larry Walker...this guy raked when he played home games in Olympic Stadium. Denver enhanced is output totals, but it did not create them. Walker was a guy that made it worthwhile to get to the park early to watch him warm up his arm in the OF. The only legitimate reason to not vote for him is because of the 10 name limit.

1st Balloters that Should be elected This Year:

Piazza, Biggio....anyone that doesn't think these guys are HOFers should have their voting privileges yanked.

1st Balloters that I think belong but won't get in, this year:

Schilling, Franco....I think Curt will have to wait, but he will get in. Julio Franco is a personal favorite of mine. In 2005 I saw him play at RFK as I sat above the President's box where George W Bush had been on opening night. I flashed back to 1989 and watching Julio Franco play second base for the Rangers with a then private citizen George W Bush (he had not run for any elected office, yet) sitting 2 rows in front of me. There was something James Earl Jones-ish in how Julio Franco was representing the constant of baseball while the world had changed so much in just 16 years.

I think Franco is a HOFer, but I don't think he will get in via the writers.

1st Balloters I would vote for just to give them a vote:

Shawn Green. Class guy and true to his personal beliefs. I like that. I don't think he will be a HOFer, but he deserves a few votes.

I have 3 spots left, and this is hard.

I am going with Mattingly and Murphy (the 80s game was so different than today's, and these guys were both in the conversation of the best in baseball, back then), and Alan Trammell.

I have a bias against Fred McGriff since he balked at leaving a horrible Tampa Bay team to join a play-off contending Cubs team. A HOFer doesn't merely want to pick up a check, he wants to win. I found this episode distasteful, and choose to put guys on my ballot that are what I believe to be "heart and soul" types. That is why McGriff is not on my list.

Lots of arguments can be made for lots of guys, and I do not imply in any way that my 10 are the best 10, but they are how I would fill my ballot, if I had one.

Last edited by VanillaGorilla; 01-04-2013 at 05:33 PM.
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote