View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 01:01 AM   #14
3fbrown
Major Leagues

1994 Recap

I have been rather busy, so this has been a long time coming. Not that anyone really missed me I am sure.

Usually I write about league history, but this is more like “current day news” in Replay League. I just completed the 1994 season, and offense is in full swing. I will write up a brief list of top players right below this post. For now, to illustrate the ridiculous hitting achievements, just in the American League:

Junior Felix hit .383 with 43 HR, 136 runs, 137 RBI. Not the MVP. (Note: Felix is a legit superstar, he took massive talent improvements shortly after joining the league.)

Jeff Bagwell hit .383 with 34 HR, 134 runs, 143 RBI, and 99 walks. Not the MVP.

The actual MVP was Jim Thome, who hit .339 with 54 HR, 147 runs, 158 RBI, and 121 walks. Also won his second Gold Glove at 1B.

Matt Williams hit 72 HR with 183 RBI. This was good enough for 4th in the AL MVP voting. And as a side note, only one of those stats is an RL record, and the other one isn’t particularly close. More on that soon.

Phil Clark (!) hit .366 with 26 HR, 48 2B, and 136 RBI. He was not in the top 10 in AL MVP voting. This season far surpassed his entire real career.

The NY Mets and Milwaukee Brewers are both completely loaded with talent - they met in the World Series. The Mets have an outfield of Albert Belle, Ray Lankford, and Larry Walker. Oh, they also have Barry Larkin at SS. They scored a lot of runs. They actually had Luis Gonzalez too, but traded him away. Teams do seem to load up on positions sometimes. The Yankees have a tradition of having terrific 1B, then after a few years drafting an even better one, and letting the previous good one rot on the bench. 1994 was Walker's second straight MVP year.

The Brewers led the AL in both runs scored and runs allowed. They outscored their opponents 953-708, on their way to 100 wins. They have the aforementioned Jim Thome and Junior Felix, but also Luis Gonzalez and Matt Stairs. Their rotation is also excellent, though the names may not frighten you - Pete Schourek, Chuck Cary, Brad Cornett, Anthony Young. Yes, that Anthony Young.

Ben McDonald won his 2nd AL Cy Young Award in three years. In the NL, Pedro Astacio won his second consecutive NL CYA. Recently it seems like he and Greg Maddux are the two main guys there, though Jose DeLeon was in the running this year as well. Only four guys in all of MLB had ERAs below 3.00, and they are all named in the past two paragraphs. (Cornett and the three NL guys.)

The only other thing I will mention is that Gerald Young stole 97 bases, pretty interesting in such an offensive year.

I am not sure I am excited to live through the juiced ball era again - I definitely preferred the late 80’s and early 90’s in terms of levels of offense. But I am playing it straight for now, minus the DH.
3fbrown is offline   Reply With Quote