View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 12:04 AM   #1
Dukie98
All Star Reserve

48-team Random Debut League

Way back in OOTP 19, I started a 48-team Random Debut League, using fictional franchises, and after thirty seasons of play, I finally made the jump to OOTP 20. This seemed like a good time to bring the entire league history into the OOTP 20 boards. Here's the complete backstory, if you have an hour or eight to spare: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=289652

The creatively-named Historic Random Debut League started in 2010 (but originally using 1975 parameters), so we are now in the equivalent of 2005 in real-world MLB. (The different starting year was a necessary workaround to get enough players to stock the initial rosters). The player pool consists of players from 1902 to the present. After initially starting with a 9-round draft to help restock the player pool, drafts now vary between 5-6 rounds per year. There are no minors, but each team has a reserve roster - I've tinkered with it from time to time, but typically about 16 reserve players. There have been no franchise relocations or expansion/ contraction. The Frontier League and Continental League each have 24 teams, comprised of 6 teams apiece. The eight division winners make the playoffs, as do four wild-card teams in each league, and each round of playoffs is a best-of-seven affair.

Here's a list of the HRDL's 48 teams, ordered by most successful to least successful. Fortunately, every team has made the playoffs at least once... although the Memphis River Pirates have only made two postseason appearances. On the flip side, the Buffalo Fighting Elk have made 23 postseason appearances in 30 seasons, and the Los Angeles Kangaroos have made 22 appearances. Los Angeles and the Seattle Whales have tied for the lead with 4 World Series championships apiece:
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

Last edited by Dukie98; 05-15-2020 at 10:59 PM.
Dukie98 is offline   Reply With Quote