View Single Post
Old 11-30-2019, 08:51 AM   #476
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Wednesday, November 27, 2002

SS Fernando Medina (31-S), formerly of Toronto, signed a 4 year contract at $2.14 million per season with a team option for a 5th season with Milwaukee. He's a 2-time All-Star and Silver Bat winner. He hit .287 With 34 HR and a .789 OPS over the past two seasons and is an excellent fielder. The Brewers, who already have a shortstop who won a Silver Bat and was an All-Star in Greg Hobbs (28-R), say they will move Hobbs, who is not a very god fielder, to 2nd base.

RF Gene Garman (30-L), formerly of Denver, signed a 2 year contract at $1.2 million per season with Boston. He has hit .284 with 73 2B, 52 HR and 170 RBI and an .851 OPS over the past 2 seasons, but has very limited range in the field.

2-time Gold Glove SS Roberto Blanco (25-S), formerly of Atlanta, signed a 5 year contract with San Antonio for $8.55 million. He has hit .268 with a .703 OPS over the past two years. To qualify for free agency at age 25 is quite an accomplishment!

SP Bill Wertz (31-R), formerly of Salt Lake City, signed a 4 year contract with Los Angeles with a team option for a 5th season at $2.64 million per year. He won 25 games in 2001 and is 40-17 with a 2.46 ERA over the past two seasons. It seems to me that Salt Lake City would have been better off using that money they threw at 3B Jim Jaeger (35-R) to keep Wertz. The Angels lost their former #1 starting pitcher, Sam Henderson (28-R), to free agency, so this signing doesn't really make them any better than they were last season. It seems to me that they could have re-signed Henderson, who is younger, for less money....
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote