View Single Post
Old 12-14-2019, 02:23 AM   #1
majesty95
All Star Starter

Team refuses to win

So I took over the Seattle Pilots prior to the 1969 expansion draft. I focused on your players with decent upside. Not a lot of salaries.

Year one we went 76-86 including starting 13-4. We eventually cooled off but had a respectable first season, the best among all expansion teams.

In the offseason I identified defense as being our biggest issue (we were last in just about every defensive metric) to help our young but promising pitching staff. I got a Gold Glove caliber shortstop in Rule 5 and moved a couple of outfielders around to spots they'd be more efficient in.

In season two we have gone from 12th to 6-8th in all of the key defensive categories but we've dropped a couple of spots in both hitting and pitching sitting near the bottom of the league. This has caused us to go 30-69 so far. Personally, it doesn't matter because we'll get a high draft pick and be able to build the farm. However, if I was playing on Challenge Mode or with firings turned off I know I'd be canned. I also think, in real life, both the fans and owners would be furious that we've gone so far backwards after a promising start.

So, my question is, why is this happening and how can I reverse it to feel like I'm not cheating by keeping my job.

My clubhouse just recently became unhappy with all of the losing. We held it off for awhile with two captains, three leaders and a spark plug. I only have one unmotivated player as a negative. Surely he isnt making that big of an impact?

My newly acquired first baseman brought in to hit cleanup got hurt so that has been a hit. My former shortstop who was my best hitter but terrible at fielding we moved to 3B and is better in the field but cant hit his weight all of the sudden. My SPs have been ok but my bullpen has been atrocious. Even worse than last year.

I have decent group of young players that will be either ready or hitting their prime in 2-3 seasons but outside of my top draft pick, nothing better than a 3-star. A. Did this team just drastically over perform last season. B. What can I do to theoretically "save" my job and not feel like I tanked this season. C. Shouldn't my leadership group have been better at staving this off?

Appreciate the comments in advance!
majesty95 is offline   Reply With Quote