View Single Post
Old 12-13-2019, 02:15 PM   #4
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Your Part 1 hits the hardest imo.

It reminds me of this point in a talk Mark Rosewater (head Magic designer) made about game design regarding the importance of making the "correct" strategy also the "fun" strategy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHg99hwQGY&t=2307s

If I'm committing myself to a game then I'm in 100%. I don't like the feeling that I'm missing out on stuff that can be earned. I stayed at the bottom levels while I built up my points because incremental improvement is the worst thing you can do long-term and getting promoted quickly at the start just gets you stuck (a key issue that needs to be addressed). I refreshed the auction house constantly for deals once missions were figured out because that is the way to make points as F2P. Hours and hours a day where I had the game either up on my phone or on a separate monitor where I'd give it a quick check every minute. Same with tournaments when they came out, had to always be looking for the best value and don't want to leave one of your slots unused.

At the end of the day it worked. I earned millions of points. A team I never dreamed possible of having after playing last year where you could be competitive in perfect with cards like live patrick corbin and larry dierker and such. But looking back, was that actually fun? No. The correct strategy is not the fun strategy.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote