View Single Post
Old 06-10-2006, 08:12 AM   #1
jbergey22
Hall Of Famer

Ootp2006 & Ootp6.5

I am writing this to hopefully get a response on a few things I mention in this brief summary. I started playing 6.5 again after trying 2006 out til after the first patch realizing it was a long way before it was going to be up to my high standards.

Anyway, the first thing that was always talked about was how much faster 2006 was going to be over 6.5. This is true in some areas but more the most part I can get a lot more accomplished in the same time playing 6.5. 2006 may sim faster, however the other areas right now just frustrate me, game play,(1 game takes an hour in 2006 while 6.5 takes appx 10 minutes) making changes(I click on a player in 6.5 I get an immediate player screen up, a couple more clicks I KNOW the player. In 2006 between lagging around and having to look up KEY categories on different parts of the card, it is taking me too long to recognize players), setting lineups(Trying to figure out what players belong in each minor league level is an exhausing task in 2006, in 6.5 with the simple transaction screen and the set minor league pitching and hitting screens all on one screen, this task seemed simple.) I jjust wanted to start the game with my own draft, I figured it would take 3-4 hours. It took me 3 hours just to get through pick 20 before I had to let the computer finish. It is great that this stuff is being added, but I just dont have time to complete a 2 day draft, spending hours a day changing lineups because I cant trust the AI to do anything right.

I am all for the NEW stats in 2006 except at this point I am wondering, what exactly do they mean? Does a batters average on 0-2 mean anything, is there any rating that make them hit better on 0-2 counts? Its great that they are there but I just dont see how they are going to matter if there are no ratings that make them better in certain situations. Right now I am just wondering if they are there for dressing when all it is doing is slowing many aspects of the game up.

Other things aside, I could still have played 2006 IF the Artificial Intelligence was up to par, right now the computer acts like a complete idiot. IN 6.5 since it was a later version of the game, the AI was actually pretty good. Do we have to wait for OOTP 2012 for the AI to get figured out? I realize this game was created because it has A lot more potential then the previous game, I just dont want to have to wait 6 years to see this potential when 6.5 was ALMOST a perfect game.

Playing out a game right now on 2006 seems like a little league baseball game to me. Lots of errors, HBP's, dumb plays by baserunners. AI manager bringing in pitchers to field in the late innings, closers pitching in the 6th inning. I consider myself a sophisticated fan of the sport, and I just cant play with so many things wrong.

On a side note, at this point I am not concerned with the bugs, as I know they will get fixed. And yes, I did change my mind about the comparison of the new games, when it was first released and I hadnt played 6.5 in a few months I was exciting about 2006, after playing 06 and then going back to 6.5 I now see how great 6.5 was and see how far 2006 would need to go to catch back up.

I thank you for all your hard work Markus, I just hope that this huge step forward hasnt actually allowed the game to take 2 steps backwards. I guess if there was anyone able to pull this off it would be you, implying that adding this incredible unlimited universe feature with thousand s of different capabilities isnt for every programmer.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote