View Single Post
Old 05-25-2019, 10:10 PM   #18
Magus978
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehart View Post
From a defensive standpoint, it applies to the lower levels even more.

While it is fun to send out combinations of Boudreau (126 at 2B), Cronin (120 at 3B), and Pesky/Lindor/Rizzuto/Jackson (109-115 at SS), you can build an even better defensive team at the lower levels (feel free to interchange them to maximize defensive and collect golden gloves).

I ran into the following a few times when my contact team scored almost nothing game after game: Aparicio (128 at 2B), Marion (121 at 3B), and Belanger (115 at SS).

In fact, I have a team in Perfect league with that exact combo in my division.
I believe he is going for the 9 Golden Glove awards in a year challenge.

At the lower levels, I find myself looking for pitchers with little to no stuff but high movement and high control. A few of them can easily take you from the lower levels to Gold and Higher:
SP: Dizzy Dean, Brett Anderson, Paul Splittorff, ..
RP: Gene Garber, Bobby Jenks, Pedro Borbon, Steve Howe, …

I get to hear it all day from my kids how they keep the scores very low and beat the generic "let me put lots of power guys in my lineup".

I have to give credit to Markus and team. This part of the game seems to work even better than in PT19. Great core engine.

Unfortunately, a lot of these players are expensive because they are reliable.
I would give you a list of well performing guys at <1K too but I have not really played them long enough to make sure they can do it consistently with multiple teams.

Your Kiner example fits the example (ratings vs LHPs
Contact 61, Gap:53, Power: 87, Eye: 81, Avoid K: 34

Send out any pitcher that prevents HRs and Walks, and you have to pray that he gets lucky. I can totally see him for 0-10 a few times during the year.

He is the type of player I would never touch in Perfect Team. The game engine just does not favor his abilities and he is more easily countered than other players.
Too many pitchers even at the lower levels can prevent HRs and Walks.
I love Garber. He's my closer down in Bronze, and he leads the conference with 41 saves. Also went 8-8 for me last season. Old School wins and saves guy who actually had a pretty good career.

http://twitch.tv/GanbaMagus

Magus978 is offline   Reply With Quote