View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
magicspeedo
Minors (Triple A)

Oh yeah, now that we can prove that late round draft picks develop can into super stars with the draft history, it's best to look at a players defensive stats rather than his hitting. I've noticed that hitting potential tends to change more often base running and defensive abilities. So, if a guy is a bad hitter, but an extremely good fielder/base runner, he has a higher chance of developing into a super star than a guy who is a decent hitter and sucks at fielding/base running. Of course, this is when the only options available in the draft are 1-2 star potential guys & MRs.

Also, I would take a 1 star SP over a 5 star MR any day, as long as his movement is at least 15/20. I've had those 1 star SPs develop into 20 win all stars more often than a 5 star MR develop into a 40 save closer.

Honestly, my bullpen is full of all SPs and 2 or 3 MRs. The cool thing is if you build your bullpen this way, you have a butt ton of SP who you can trade for fielder prospects.

When rebuilding a franchise, it's better to let the hitting take care of itself and just worry about your rotation and defense. With a rock solid D and a bunch of ground ball pitchers, you can keep the score low so that your SPs will develop regardless of how your teams record looks. Eventually, the hitters will develop. Although I have yet to win 6 world series in a row, but thats mostly due to the fact I like to use small market teams for extra challenge so I have to trade my position players when they have one year of arbitration left, which sometimes can leave your team lacking the talent it needs to win it all. But using this method I can at least make the playoffs for 30 straight years...and no one is going to be pissed about that
magicspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote