View Single Post
Old 12-02-2018, 08:49 PM   #20
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
you asked and didn't like the answer. it's as much for anyone else reading as you. if i said something twice it's because i don't really look over an entire thread. typically it's due to same question being asked the second time or the response about something said that may or may not be right (me or others or op).

if he is successful it's more like the lotto. i.e. anyone can have a good game... a little more luck and you can have a good year... even more luck and you string a few good seasons together. howewever, they cannot escape their severe lack of talent, if given enough opportunities.

extremely rare, but inevitably can and does happen - a crap player in a good player's clothing. that's your only hope here. pure luck of results stringing together of a subpar talent. there's no mechanism for 1/million player superceding their ratings (beyond reason). when it happens it's simply the RNG (even 'luck' is a misnomer. it entails preference or some unwritten or unheard factgor/power involved. universal favorites don't exist).
Sorry, NoOne, didn't mean to give you that impression. I liked the answer just fine. It was also the answer I expected. And most likely the correct answer.
It just seemed that you might think that I was not acknowledging the difference between minor league and major league talent level and how statistics achieved in the minors are likely not all that translatable to the major league environment and the ratings, assuming a level of accuracy in that regard, certainly take precedence. It may have been missed and may have been a bit too vague, but I did indicate my understanding of this several times.
I'm always happy to have you chime in with your thoughts here as you clearly have a good deal of experience with the game and a strong analytical mind. I wasn't in any way looking for you to give me the answer I wanted.
However, I suspect you over-state a bit when you say that my only hope here is pure luck. The player is still fairly young and scouting, at least with the settings I use and my head scout being very good but not perfect, isn't an exact science. Chances are very low, I agree.
And the fun will be in seeing how it all plays out.

Last edited by BirdWatcher; 12-02-2018 at 08:50 PM.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote