View Single Post
Old 11-24-2018, 07:39 PM   #1
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Any exceptions to this rule or is this doomed to end poorly?

In my fictional W.P. Kinsella league I drafted this guy who was considered a mediocre prospect but with a great fastball and great stuff. I figured at least he might be able to dominate minor league hitters and help our farm clubs to have better records. Never expected he would make it to the bigs though.
And he did a pretty good much of the time as he moved up through the system, in spite of not faring that well in terms of BABIP against.

(Note: I use a 1-10 rating system in this league.)

Then, suddenly, he develops a fourth pitch. And the potential for that pitch then rises to above average to go along with his exceptional fastball and his solid sinker (and crappy changeup.) And he develops better control and his potential control rises considerably. And his fastball just gets better. And his velocity, which was top notch to begin with, heads towards the unhittable range. And his stuff rating starts to hit the roof.
And now he is named the #3 prospect in the league. And our head scout, who has a great reputation, sees him as having a ceiling of staff ace. And the OSA loves him too and actually thinks his control potential is even better than our guy thinks.

But.
But that movement rating. That is not good! And doesn't look to be getting any better. And from everything I've read around here, guys with movement ratings this low get shelled in the majors.
Still, I haven't been playing OOTP long enough to have ever seen a guy quite like this.

What do you all think? Lost cause or could this guy be an exception to the rule? Ever seen anyone with these kind of ratings succeed as a major leaguer?
Attached Images
Image Image 
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote