View Single Post
Old 09-23-2017, 10:30 AM   #6
pilight
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud4579 View Post
I've done a test run of South African only names. I didn't add any Afrikaans first names or English ones to the list, because I have my South Africa language distribution setup to add UK English, Dutch and Indian names in addition to African ones.

For the purposes of this situation, the names are mostly Zulu and Xhosa, as well as other tribes so they will be mixed up and won't make any sense to someone who knew those languages, but it's better than the status quo in-game which largely has you using Muslim names. There are some Afrikaans surnames, but that's because there are indeed black south africans with dutch last names and native african surnames, but it's mostly an ethnic set of surnames.

If I get ambitious or find people are REALLY wanting to use this, I'll make it more accurate or add to it, as it could be expanded pretty heavily.

But it'll only make sense for South Africa, tbh.
To do Africa properly would require a bunch more namesets. The same granularity as the game has with Europe, i.e. every ethnicity at least as large as Albania, would require about 50 namesets just for Africa. Even limiting to ethnicities at least the size of Ireland would require close to 30 namesets for Africa.

Now, if making it seem right to native Africans isn't important, the continent could be covered with about six groups similar to what you've done here with South Africa. There would be groups for Central Africa (Luba, Mongo, Kongo, Kanuri), East Africa (Oromo, Amhara, Somali, Tigrayan), North Africa (Maghrebi, Egyptian), Southeast Africa (Hutu, Chewa), Southern Africa (Shona, Zulu, Xhosa, Sotho, Tswana), and West Africa (Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Mande, Akan, Fula).

It would be a lot of work no matter how you wanted to slice it.
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote