Thread: OOTP Online?
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 01:02 PM   #15
kq76
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
BMO is played on a server, all game file is on the server, so all you have to do is log in. The interface is also on the server, you never have to download anything. Anychanges you want to make, you do it via IE7, Firefox..ect. The leagues sim automatically, so you can sim 10, 20, 30, 60 sim days, each day. You can sim it all at once, or a little each hour, they even started 24 hour sims, 2 years ago. Most leagues sim from 9am-5pm, simming about 3-4 sim days each hour. You can trade to human owners, free agents are bidding format, and the only thing that wasn't done for you is the draft picks. The League commissioners would have to run drafts, and reassign the draft picks to the correct teams...

Anway, this post is worthless because BMO will be dead on December 1st.

Looking foward, I hope that OOTP"O", will be available soon. I hope it has the ease and funness that BMO has. I know that there are a lot of people who will be coming over here to Buy OOTP.
Since OOTP Online sounds like it will be similar to BMO, perhaps you can explain to me how it might be (or how BMO was) better than traditional OOTP online leagues. I don't see the advantages in it. OOTP touts that theirs will be "automated". Well, it seems to me that a human commissioner has the ability to be much better than any computer program could ever be so I don't see that as a positive. They say it will have a built in message board and chat. Big deal. Online leagues can easily install those too if they want and at least with online leagues people have a lot of choice of what kind of message board or website to go with. With this I imagine it'll be one way and that's it. Then there's the likely higher cost of OOTP online (or BMO) and I totally don't get it. I'd get it if online leagues didn't exist or were phased out as something is better than nothing, but if they're not to be phased out then I don't get it. The one thing I do get is starting a league with OOTP Online will likely be much less work for a commissioner (will there even be the need for one?), but I don't see why people would want to join it over a traditional online league and in the end won't that be all that matters?

EDIT: I want to wish OOTP well with any venture as anything that helps them should help the community, but I didn't like this one from the start. Maybe with more info I'll come to see the advantage in it, but I think they've got their work cut out for them on this one.

EDIT2: They do say it's going to be marketed towards "fantasy" league participants though and since I don't get the fun in those either, maybe there's good reason why I don't get this. Unless they make it very much like how fantasy leagues work (it sounds like they'll be more like how our leagues work), though, I don't get how they'll attract fantasy fans either. A fan of BMO may have some insight on this however.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote