Old 08-20-2006, 12:27 PM   #6
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

1) Initial set up

- New database

To start with, I did as Mike suggested in his universe creation thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh2365
Okay first thing I would do is to go into the options screen - goto databases - type in a name for a new database and hit create new ...

For this universe I'm only gonna use welterweights so I'll just call the new db WW ... this will create a new db from the original db (or the one we just got)

Once you type it in it will shut down the game, when you reopen it your new database should be loaded.

this database has 3013 fighters in the "men" group - 308 welterweights
A) Since I was building a universe from the ground up, I deleted all but one fighter. I found out the hard way that if you delete all the fighters in a database, you cannot add any new ones leaving you with a dead, useless database. After putting the initial fighters into the new data base, the one left from earlier can also be deleted.

B) Populating the new database:

I began with approximately 2,500 stiffs (tomato cans) all with country of origin, birth year and career start year set to match what I wanted (I started in 1897). I did this by utilizing the tomato can template at cornerwork. But if anyone else wants to start a project like this now they can grab the zip files located in the following thread and pull in 3,000 + stiffs all set to begin in 1903.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=113890

Unzip the the files and extract to a temporary folder that you create. Within the game select 'import fighters' browse to the folder and highlight all of them. Select yes to 'import duplicates' and 'no' to the over-right question. These will pop up because many of the stiffs are just copies of each other with different names that the game sees as duplicates.

Once imported, I'll steal Mike's comment about setting up the database further:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh2365
Databases - the "set all fighters to cs adjust" button, this is a tricky one esp. if you plan on using current fighters. This will set all fighters to active, mark their cs adj button on the ratings page and they will then be subjected to aging and career stages. The problem is that it will also set everyone to Prime using inverted formulas for fighters not currently rated at prime. I makes for some outlandish ratings and you would be required to adjust alot of fighters.

I use historical so it doesn't effect me, I am hoping it is fixed by the time I come even close to current guys. If you want to start one using current fighters and not do this, then you would have to manually check the cs adj button on all the fighters you use and rerate them yourself on how you feel they would have been at prime.

For this example I'm going to start with WW in the 70's so I'm hitting the cs adj button in the options. once you hit the button you have to type in yes to confirm it then it takes it a few minutes to do all it has to do. It popped back up and said it adjusted like 1500 fighters, now all fighters are active and their cs adjust button is checked
Up next (later today):

- Regions, countries and venues
- Use of Groups function
- Building a base of experienced stiffs
- Aging