View Single Post
Old 06-08-2019, 05:14 PM   #6
mjj55409
All Star Starter

January 1926

I introduced Joe Ward during the discussion of the history of Saints baseball. Ward is the career leader in nearly every major offensive category for the Saints. During the 1925 season, Ward and the previous GM (Del McTherrey) had a falling out. Ward wanted an increasing say in the baseball operations of the club. McTherrey thought that players should be seen (playing hard, on the field), but not heard. In August of 1925, McTherrey struck a deal with the Chicago Cougars--the Cougars would take Ward off of McTherrey's hands for a trio of young players. Ward was dealt and on a train to Chicago before the field manager, Francis Asberry, and the owner, Jacques Cartier, knew what was happening. Both men, particularly Asberry, were livid, and McTherrey was fired immediately after the season concluded.

Since taking over the Saints job in November, one of my goals was to somehow get Ward back into the organization. Today, after a quick discussion with my Chicago counterpart, that deal is done. Joe Ward is returning to Montreal in exchange for young infielder Lee Elkins (.340/.368/.500, 3, 30 in 37 games at Nashville (AA)). Now truth be told, Ward is not the same player as he once was. He has lost a step, both in the field and on the base paths; after leading the CA in triples in 1922 with 41, he hit 13 triples in 1923, 9 in 1924, and no triples in 1925. But Ward brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to the clubhouse. As Asberry said, "For me, Joe Ward is a trusted bench coach who just also happens to be a fine pinch hitter." (And to that point, Ward did hit .370/.414/.444 in 30 pinch hitting appearances in 1925.)

l-to-r, Francis Asberry, Joe Ward

Last edited by mjj55409; 06-08-2019 at 05:21 PM.
mjj55409 is offline   Reply With Quote