View Single Post
Old 04-25-2003, 06:05 PM   #3
GForce22
Banned

The Announcement

It had been a long time since this many people cared about Frank Viola. He knew he wasn’t the attraction, but with the announcement being made on the grounds of DoubleDay Field at Cooperstown, with so many greats around him, Viola felt in his glory again. To his left on the podium sat Yankee legend Don Mattingly. To the right, the unoccupied chair of Hall of Famer Bob Gibson, who was talking with old friend Tim McCarver in a manner more animated than people usually saw Gibson. “Most I’ve seen Bobby smile in a long time,” McCarver had told Brett earlier in the day. “What you’ve done here...you’re making a hell of a lot of us very proud.”
In a back corner of the risers, George Brett stood beaming, a beer in one hand, a baseball with the stamp of the United States Baseball Alliance, HIS development, in the other. He thought about that night he pitched the idea to Gwynn and Ripken, who were mingling with the crowd, declining to answer questions but signing autographs for all who wanted, free of charge. Brett had done so earlier, but now, with the grounds filling, he was content to just stand back and watch it unfold.
There had been talk that the brass at Major League Baseball, Bud Selig, in particular, were pitching a fit that the Hall of Fame, which MLB has long viewed as THEIR building, was welcoming Brett and a venture they said was no threat, but they clearly viewed as competition, even on a small scale. Brett found this typical and amusing to a degree, hoping only that the players and fans understood what he was doing. He knew the USBA would never rival Major League Baseball, and he didn’t intend it to. In fact, he hoped the opposite, that MLB would improve as a result of the way the USBA ran.
“Mr. Brett,” said Gwen, the young secretary for the Hall, who had been handling the day with aplomb, as awestruck as she was. “The media have been asked to find their seats. We’ll be ready when you are.”
Brett thanked her as Gwynn and Ripken came over to him.
“Are you ready for what you’ve created here,” Ripken asked.
“WE’VE created,” Brett responded. “I couldn’t have pulled this off alone.”
“This was your baby, George,” said Gwynn as he threw his arm around him. “That conversation was historic, just like today. And I thank you for letting me be a part of it.”
“Well, gentlemen, it’s been my pleasure. Are we ready to start the ride?”
And with that, Brett walked toward the microphone as Gwynn and Ripken took their seats. As he got about 10 feet from the microphone, Brett felt a strong grasp on his left hand. He turned to see Ernie Banks, a broad smile across his face. “Thank you, George. So much!”
“My pleasure, sir,” Brett responded. “And we WILL play two, and many more.”
Banks laughed as Brett stood in front of the microphone, flash bulbs firing away.
“First off, thank you all for coming. If I speak too long about my motives here, it may seem as though I am denigrating baseball, and Major League Baseball in particular. This is not the case. But the financial situation in baseball is a real one, and one that is leaving too many people, too many fans, on the outside. The players, the union that I was a part of, that supported me…they have a right to get whatever they can and I back that, will to the end. But the situation is what it is. Families can’t attend games. Kids can’t stay up late enough to watch World Series games. People root for the uniform, it seems, and I think many things have created that situation. My hope is that the United States Baseball Alliance will help foster change in that which needs to change. And if not, that it will provide fans who can’t commit what’s needed to Major League Baseball, whatever their reasons, with an alternative in which they can immerse themselves and their love of the game. That is what we are here to celebrate, that love of this wonderful game, celebrated here daily.
“As many of you know, I am the founder and commissioner of the USBA. Our goal is to put teams in markets currently without teams for the most part, and plant roots there by which those teams, by which baseball becomes not just a pastime but an identity for those places, those fans. We have received corporate support, with companies developing new stadiums over the past 8 months. They are the owners of these teams, with the stipulation that the initial General Manager and Manager must hail from the region in which their team is based, preferably the city itself. I am proud to say that these goals have been accomplished.
“The USBA will consist of two leagues, Eastern and Western. The Eastern League President will be Cal Ripken Jr., while the Western League President will be Tony Gwynn. I could not have asked for two better representatives of what I could want the USBA to be than these two gentlemen, and it is an honor to share this stage with them.
“I now present Cal Ripken Jr. to announce the teams and management of the Eastern League squads.”
Ripken walks to the microphone, shaking hands with Brett as he approaches and giving a polite wave to the crowd.
“The Eastern League North Division will include the Long Island Towers, GM Carl Yaztremski, manager Frank Viola. They will play at Computer Associates Field. The Louisville Thoroughbreds, GM Mike Greenwell, manager Jay Buhner, will play at Humana Park at Churchill Downs. The Norfolk Waverunners, GM Gene Alley, manager Billy Sample, will play at AOL Field. And the Indianapolis Racers, GM Don Mattingly, manager Phil Bradley, will play at Lilly Stadium.”
“For the Eastern League’s South Division will include the Charlotte Smoke, GM Mike Lavalliere, manager Dickie Noles and play at Bank Of America Stadium. The Orlando Tourists will be led by GM Davey Johnson and manager Jack Billingham and play at Darden Park. The Memphis Suns, GM Tim McCarver and manager Bill Madlock, will play at FedEx Ballpark. And, finally, the Birmingham Yellowhammers will be led by GM Lee May and manager Jerry Hairston Sr., and will play at Saks Stadium.”
“I now turn the stage over to Tony Gwynn, who will announce the Western League franchises and management.”
“Thanks, Cal. It is my pleasure to introduce the teams of the Western League’s North Division: The Portland Hikers, with GM Dale Murphy and manager Mickey Lolich will play at PGE Stadium. The Wichita Brigade, with GM Don Lock and manager Enos Cabell will play at Koch Field. The Omaha Steers will be led by the team of GM Bob Gibson and manager Wade Boggs and play at ConAgra Park. And the Sacramento Stingers will be led by General Manager Bob Forsch and manager Steve Sax, and will play at Intel Park.
“Onto the South Division, the Las Vegas Golden Bats I am pleased to announce DID find a management tandem as there had been some concern. They will be led by GM Jim Nash and manager Shawn Boskie and will play at Mirage Ballpark. The Dallas Riders will be led by a favorite of mine, GM Ernie Banks and manager Ruppert Jones and will play at Centex Field. The New Orleans Hurricanes will be led by GM Rusty Staub and manager, the tough as nails Will Clark, and will call Entergy Field home. And lastly, the Oklahoma City Boomers will be led by GM Johnny Bench, and manager Joe Carter, and will play at Fleming Field.”
Gwynn gave a wave to the crowd as Brett moved back to the podium.
“Ladies and gentlemen, I thank you for coming today. We will be available to talk with the press as we mingle about. We’ll be happy to provide details and we thank you for joining us today as we embark on what I guarantee will be an incredible journey. The draft will be held in the coming weeks and then it will be time to play ball. We hope you will join us for baseball like you, and I, have dreamed of.”

Last edited by GForce22; 04-30-2003 at 02:55 PM.
GForce22 is offline   Reply With Quote