View Single Post
Old 08-30-2019, 11:14 PM   #9
gmo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmo View Post
I am fairly close to something, but I am having my own urge to tear down and rebuild rather than trying to plow through to the finish. Either way, I think I will have time the next couple of days to get a result.
So I ended up both pushing through what I was doing but also doing a different version taking a different path. I will post them below momentarily. A little explanation on them first.

In broad strokes they are the same. The structure notes will be almost identical. I think both are fine, but there are details in each that I am not completely satisfied with how they panned out.

The "a" version is a case where the type of game everyone is playing is always the same. I.e., all the teams are playing division games at this time, at that time everybody is playing interleague, etc. What I did not like so much about this one is the number of single-series homestands and roadtrips. For this schedule with 48 series per team I would aim to have 12 as the maximum, but in this case twelve was about the average with about half the teams having more. The way I laid out the types and the need to also make sure not to have anyone have longer than 4-game homestands and roadtrips trapped me into relatively lots of those singles.

The "b" version is a case where I mixed up the types of games at any given time. A quarter of the time there are only division games, but the rest of the time there are mixtures of varying amounts of division/interdivision/interleague. That allowed for better minimization of the single-series homestands and roadtrips (one team ends up with 13, but the average is 9 per team). What I did not like so much about this one is how close some of the team-vs-team matchups are. E.g., there are some interdivision matchups where the two series are a week apart, and there are some cases where all the matchups between division opponents fall in one half of the season.

Again, I think both are fine, but I wanted to put those details out there.