View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 07:44 AM   #82
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

May 1, 1927

THE UPS AND DOWNS OF A SEASON

After two very good weeks to start the year the Kings received a dose of reality, New York Stars-style, as the 3-time defending champs swept us in three games this week. To add injury to insult - literally - we lost another pitcher for the season as Topsy Moran is out for 5 months with shoulder problems.

Funny, but I was thinking something was up with Moran after his rough start to the season. It is disappointing the injury came just a start after I felt he was getting back on track with a complete game 4-2 victory over the Stars the previous week. Moran joins Del Plummer on the sidelines leaving me without my #2 and #3 starters for the year. Plummer, you may recall, was hurt last summer shortly after being acquired from Montreal. He is not expected to return until at least mid-September.

So that opens the door for Clarence Flanders to make his FABL debut. The 24 year old former University of Michigan star had 4 strong starts for AAA Houston before getting the call. Flanders was a winter acquisition from the Portland Green Sox - an independent club that plays in the Great Western AAA loop. He was 17-9 with a 3.51 era for the Green Sox a year ago. It was a tough call but I made the decision to promote Flanders over Bill Dengler, who was also off to a great start in Houston. Age was the deciding factor as I felt it best to give the 22 year old Dengler, my second round pick in the December 1925 draft out of Maryland, a little more time in the minors. The kid was down - his mood changed to unhappy after the decision - but he needs to be patient as his time will certainly come and, if the injuries continue, it will be soon.

I will start Flanders in the bullpen and move Harvey Rodgers from the pen back into the starting rotation. Rodgers was a swingman last year, starting 16 of his 32 appearances and compiling an 11-7 record with a 4.01 era.

The rotation now consists of vets Mose Smith (5-0, 2.60) and Cal Williams (3-0, 3.32) and a pair of young leftys in Art Carlson (3-1, 5.06) and Leon Campbell (1-2, 2.45) as well as Rodgers.

The news last week wasn't all bad as we did play .500 ball despite the losses to New York, sweeping 3 games from Montreal to level the slate. However, we are no longer first as our 13-6 record is a half-game behind the Stars.
Tiger Fan is online now   Reply With Quote