View Single Post
Old 05-28-2019, 09:57 AM   #57
bailey
Hall Of Famer

2028 Going for Gold

Any doubts about this team being effective at Gold Level were quickly quashed after a sizzling 18-8 April. Team batting average was over .300 while team pitching ERA was less than 3.50. Although obviously an unsustainable performance, the NC East is a weak division. The other 4 teams have a combined 20 seasons at the gold level and only twice exceeded .500 and never once making the playoffs. I'm already printing playoff tickets.

It took awhile to fill the vacancy in the starting rotation. Chris Archer, originally OVR 80, but now down to OVR 74 was not effective, nor was Mike Clevinger OVR 76. Given the team's fine start, I did not fool around too long, but options in the Auction House were meager and expensive. Is the AH already dead? I eventually opted to spend 7200p on Felix Hernandez, OVR 89. This is more than I paid for Derringer, OVR 91, so the risk is high. He is a groundball pitcher; let's hope he does better than Cisco Carlos. I opted not to spoil the picture by including the changeup which is rated just 29.

Name:  felix.PNG
Views: 176
Size:  366.7 KB

I'm also trying to revamp the bullpen, trying to get away from 2019 Live players with 128 stuff, but with other ratings in the toilet and subject to extreme variance. I added Steve Howe and Marsh Freeman, two similarly rated players with modest stuff, but superior movement and control. (Howe on the right).

Name:  freeman howe.PNG
Views: 188
Size:  184.5 KB

Also, OVR 67 (!) Bob Stanley (25p) is performing great so far.

Name:  stanley.PNG
Views: 159
Size:  275.2 KB

Cody Allen, who was 2025 reliever of the year, already lost his job two seasons ago because his OVR is in freefall (OVR 86 down to 72). I'm trying out Andrew Vasquez as the closer, described in post 49. I also regret being fancy and paying 4Kp for “diamond-of-the-week”, Jose Alvarado. This “no risk” buy declined again this week making it unlikely to ever see diamond again, however, he has been effective as my closer for 2 seasons. I'm changing to Vasquez whose 127 stuff may earn me more 1-2-3 strike out the side achievements and extreme groundball tendency may make him more effective overall given my elite infield defense.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote