View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 11:58 PM   #1
Cobby
Minors (Triple A)

91 Home Runs! Should I believe it?

Clint Sampson had quite the season in 1996. He hit .404 with 91 home runs!

But. I'm not sure if I should believe it or if there is something awry with my setup or the simulation. I don't think it's my setup - I've got player creation modifiers all at 1.0. Recalc is on. It's a fairly small league with 24 teams, reserve clause - no minors. All of the ballparks are set for neutral factors.

I haven't actually been playing this league - just simulating through history to get a feeling for how well the simulation does compared to real baseball history.

The simulation seems homer-happy - especially in more modern times. I've had 1 90+ home run season, 4 80+ home run seasons, 12 70+ home run seasons and fully 48 60+ home run seasons.

Career home runs are high too. Four players have over 800 career home runs, 10 have over 700 and 21 have over 600.

I don't remember seeing this before. In past versions the modern results seemed pretty good - it was early 20th century baseball that seemed off.

So. I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing this. Has something changed in the simulation engine?

One possible clue: each year I've been calculating the league average rating for each of the ratings. I've been doing this by calculating a weighted average by plate appearance. For most of the ratings the league average is consistent and around 50 (on a 1-100 scale, scouting accuracy at 100% of course). For Power though, the league average is still consistent but it's around 36. This is probably intentional, but it means that when a player has a high power rating it'll be further above the league average than the other ratings.

Sampson's power rating maxed out at 84 (1-100) scale, but he still hit those 91 homers. Imagine how many he would have hit with a power rating closer to 100...

Any thoughts?
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

Last edited by Cobby; 05-22-2019 at 12:13 AM.
Cobby is offline   Reply With Quote