View Single Post
Old 04-16-2019, 09:10 AM   #25
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

The end of the 1973 is approaching.

Baltimore has the AL East all but clinched. 11 game lead over the Red Sox and Indians. Baltimore let Mike Cuellar go in the off season, but added Luis Tiant. Tiant is in the race for AL Cy Young.

The AL West is no where near decided as of yet. The Twins currently own a half game lead over the A's. The Royals are bouncing between 2 to 3 games back on a daily basis. The A's seemed to be in control of the division going into August, but the Twins had other plans. Rod Carew is on his way towards his second batting title in a row. The A's have 3 batters, Reggie Jackson, Joe Rudi and George Hendricks batting 3,4 and 5 in the lineup that look like sure bets for 100+ RBI. Reggie Jackson is tied with Baltimore's Davey Johnson for the home run lead with 34. Jackson had 34 home runs in 72 as well, enough to lead to lead the AL.

The NL East is close as well. The Mets are trying to win their second division title in a row, but the Pirates are on their heals 3 1/2 games back.
The Expos were in the race for a while as well, but like last year they faded as the summer progressed.

The Dodgers look like they will win the West again. They are 6 1/2 games ahead of the San Francisco Giants. The Reds lost Gary Nolan, Don Gullet and another starter(at work) to season ending injuries, leaving them Jack Billingham and a bunch of no names in their rotation.

My Tigers are dreadful. If it wasn't for the San Diego Padres, the Tigers would have the worst record in baseball. As expected the Tigers started a fire sale prior to the start of the 73 season and it continued through to the trade deadline. Between trades and waivers the Tigers no longer have Norm Cash, Dick McAuliffe, Jim Northrup, Mickey Stanley, Gates Brown and John Hiller on the roster. Thankfully they've held on to Al Kaline. Kaline is not having a good season, but may be able to still reach 3000 hits if he gets a full season of playing time in 74.

The Pirates turned Roberto Clemente into a Manny Mota, Gate Brown type pinch hitter this season. Clemente has started only a handful of games all season. Sadly Willie Mays fractured a knee cap early and that was it for his season. I think it will be interesting to see if Clemente and Mays return for 74. Personally, I have my doubts.

Last edited by David Watts; 04-16-2019 at 09:12 AM.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote