View Single Post
Old 03-16-2019, 12:24 PM   #22
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Amateur Draft

Happy Draft Day!

Buffalo had the first pick, and took SP Jake Miller out of Michigan. He's definitely talented, but it's super risky to take a fragile guy #1 overall when you're building a team from scratch.

1st Round, 9th Overall: SP Mark Gibson (3): I was really hoping I could get a better guy with the 9th overall pick, but sadly, Gibson was the best available. He's a really good pitcher with #2 potential, but he's got a ton of developing left to go. He's got plus-plus stuff, but just average movement and control. He does average in the 94-96 range with three 80+ pitchers, a fastball, curve, and change. He's got great stamina as well, and is just looking for slot value.

1st Round, 23rd Overall: 3B Dave Melton (3): I got this pick from letting Angel Contreras go in free agency, and I decided to grab a 3B with a little more potential then his overall. The problem with Melton, however, is OSA isn't a big fan of him and his only plus offensive skill is his eye, albeit, an elite eye. He's a great base runner and great defender at third, and he'll always have that going for him. He's basically the opposite of Giobbe Capuana.

2nd Round, 42nd Overall: SP Bob Brenkus (2.5): I got this pick as well from the Contreras signing. Brenkus intends to go to college, but I can try to convince him to say. He's a middle of the rotation starter that kind've reminds me of Carlos Ramirez. He's got average stuff and movement, but plus-plus control. He has a nice 4 pitch arsenal of an average cut and forkball with a plus change and split. He doesn't throw too hard, just 90-92 with the hard stuff, but the 18-year-old can increase his velocity with age.

2nd Round, 43rd Overall: CF Arturo Sanchez (2.5): I had back to back picks, so I went with a 18-year-old from Baptist Regional in Haddon Heights, NJ in Arturo Sanchez. A speedy and athletic outfielder, he's got elite range in center with a plus arm. He's a contact hitter, with plus-plus contact, but absolutely no power (5). He's a perfect leadoff hitter, but at worst a great 4th outfielder that can make things happen.

3rd Round, 59th Overall: SS Caleb Gentry (2.5): Most of the talented players left won't sign, but just like with Brenkus I'll try to sign him. Gentry is very similar to Sanchez, a great defender with great speed and a ton of powerless contact. He can slot at any of the infield spots with plus-plus range, error, and arm with an elite ability to turn double plays. All his offensive skills, but his 12 power, is plus, so he's definitely a valuable leadoff type hitter as well.

3rd Round, 60th Overall: RP Ken Duplisea (2.5): Another back-to-back, Dupliesa was a junior from Dalls Baptist who started for them, but as a two-pitch guy he's a reliever for us. He's got plus stuff and control with average movement, but he's nearly developed. He's got an elite change with a plus-plus fastball that sits in the 93-95 range. He can pitch an inning or two if needed, and should be in Detroit very soon.

4th Round, 77th Overall: CF Mark Pinette (2.5): OSA hates him, but with very little talent left I was willing to take the risk. He's probaly best suited in left, but he's a solid defender at all three spots. He's got plus range and a plus-plus arm so he could end up in right too. He's got a plus-plus eye, but none of his other tools are much better then average. He's got good foot speed, but won't steal too much.

5th Round, 93rd Overall: SP Jordan Stinson (2): Another high schooler, Stinson has enough excitement to warrant a signing bonus. He's got a decent three pitch arsenal with a plus-plus fastball and curve and then a fringe changeup that could develop into a suitable 3rd pitch (47). He can eat a ton of innings, and has a great personality.

6th Round, 190th Overall: CF Jorge Perez (2): A Kent State junior, Perez was selected by the Lightning in the 9th Round of the 1900 draft. A glove first outfielder, he's got elite range and an elite arm as well as elite speed and base stealing ability. He's a light hitter, but he has a little bit of pop that you still have to respect his bat.

7th Round, 125th Overall: C Joe Porter (2): Another light hitting batter, Porter's got a plus-plus eye but little to no power. He's got average contact and for a catcher, that's already better then average. He's an average catcher, but he's got a plus-plus arm.

8th Round, 141st Overall: RP Chris McKinnie (2): A senior stopper from Florida, McKinnie has a perfect 100 rating for stuff potential. He's got an 72/88 fastball and 70/100 change up that could already fool major leaguers. So why did he fall to the 8th Round? Well, he's got 23 movement potential and 35 control potential. The lefty can light up the radar gun, but after enough pitches he may actually hit it in stead of the catcher's glove. He's a great leader, which could perhaps help him develop even more. He's good enough to start in Class C Keyser.

9th Round, 157th Overall: 2B Francisco Ventura (2): I shied away a little from glove first player with a pretty even hitter and fielder with Francisco Ventura. He can be a plus defender at second and maybe third, but definitely not at short where he shouldn't be more then a fill in. He's got plus contact, gap power, and avoid K's ability. He can't run too well, but he'll make up for it with a sweet lefty swing.

10th Round, 173rd Overall: SS Terry Merrick (2): Undrafted out of high school, he attended Sayre, a JUCO in Lexington, and boosted his draft stock. He could be a plus-plus defender at third or short, and despite no expereince at second, there too. He's got an elite arm with plus-plus tools for range, error, and trun DP ability. He won't hit too much, but he at least has plus contact.

11th Round, 189th Overall: CF Jonathan Brooks (2): He won't sign, but he's got versatility to play the infield and outfield. He's got a plus-plus eye, but that's about all with the bat. He's also got blinding speed, which I love.

12th Round, 205th Round: SP Devon Britt (1.5): UCLA didn't go as planned for Devon Britt, who was a 4th Rounder back in 1900 by Baltimore. He doesn't really have starter stamina, but has an uninspiring 5 pitch arsenal that is highlighted by a plus fastball. He does throw in the mid 90s, but doesn't really scream big league starter.

13th Round, 221st Overall: LF Aaron Goodwin (1.5): A speedy lefty, Goodwin can play all three outfield spots as well as first base. He's not the best defender, but he's got elite range that makes up for a below avaerage arm. He's got plus gap power and he hits the ball in the air, even if it doesn't go that far.

14th Round, 237th Overall: RF John Leach (1.5): Another 1B/OF, Leach has plus range, error, and arm ability. He's got plus contact with no power, and has good foot speed despite not being much of a base runner. He was undrafted out of high school, but went to Pattonville for a year and boosted his draft stock with a nice .313/.367/.419 batting line.

15th Round, 253rd Overall: C Mike Holmes (1.5): He won't sign, but he's got a really great bat that I couldn't pass on. He's got elite eye with plus-plus gap and homer power. He's got a weak arm right now, but is a great pitch framer.

16th Round, 269th Overall: LF Tim Perry (1.5): Another otufielder pick, we were low on low minors outfielders. He's another 1B/OF, but is a much better hitter then fielder. He's got plus contact, gap, and homer poewr, but he has a terrible eye. He'll likely never walk, but he won't strike out too much either.

17th Round, 285th Overall: SP Josh Dean (0.5): I needed to grab a few pitchers, so I went with control artist Josh Dean. He's got plus control and elite stamina. He doesn't throw too fast, averaging 86-88 with a plus curve and average slider and fastball.

18th Round, 301st Overall: CF/P Eddie Hill (0.5/1.5): Hill was listed as an outfielder, but I like him more as a pitcher. He throws 87-89 with an interesting 6 pitch mix headlined by a plus curve, his only plus pitch. He's got decent control, but isn't the most special player.

19th Round, 317th Overall: RF Nate Wilocx (1.5): Undrafted out of high school, he went to Caddo, a college in Oklahoma, and earned a late selection. I like him in right, but he can play all three spots. He's got an elite arm and won't kill you in the field. He's got plys contact, but as expected, no power.

20th Round, 333rd Overall: SP Chris Gehman (0.5): We finish the draft with a senior from Missouri who was an 8th Round Pick by the Hornets in the 1899 draft. He had a rough college career, but he's great at keeping the ball on the ground and has decent movement. Nothing special, but how many 20th round picks do anything?

The next class of studs in Detroit? Maybe I'll trade them or give them up too early like the old regimes!

Back to baseball, we head home to hosts the 43-12 first place St. Louis Lightning. We'll go against knuckler Matt Nesgoda (6-1, 2.97 ERA) and southpaws Eddie Long (6-2, 3.22 ERA) and Ron Howard (6-4, 3.50 ERA). If we can't beat the Cardinals, maybe we can beat the best team in the league...