View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 06:13 AM   #2
DFyvie
Major Leagues

New Coach, GM and Name for Hockey Franchise
15/6/1991 13.05 PST

A new coach, GM and team name have been announced for the expansion hockey franchise in San Jose. The San Jose Sharks will hit the ice for the 1991 season headed by Coach and General Manager Dave Fyvie.

“It is truly a great honour and responsibility to be given this chance” exclaimed Dave Fyvie, originally from Naperville Illinois.

Team Majority Owner Michael McKeown made the announcement along with the new team name and logo. “It’s an exciting day. I have the best job today, (I) feel like Santa Claus.”

The Sharks were picked from over a thousand names nominated by local school children. The name and logo were designed in secret over the winter. Amongst the finalists were The Predators, Mermaids, Tremors, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and The Barton Finks indicating the level of maturity and influence of recent box-office movies in the proposed names.

Dave Fyvie and the Sharks begin the long climb towards the expansion draft and entry draft slated to take place in early July. “We’ll know what we’ll have to work with roster wise, in a few weeks”. Fyvie stated. “Obviously we’re interested in putting the best product we can on the ice.”

Asked what stood out for McKeown when looking at Fyvie: “His vision for the future for this team is what stood out. He wants to build this team on three pillars of excellence: Speed, Character and Hockey Sense.”

NHL great Gordie Howe was on hand to debut the new team’s logo and jersey. “I honestly wish the new team all the luck in the world. Hockey is a wonderful game and deserves to be shared throughout the world”.

Mr Hockey also had some advice for the new Coach and GM. “When the going gets tough, and it will for an expansion club, keep everything in perspective. It’s only a game after all.” With that said, the Hockey legend pulled on the very first teal and silver jersey over his head and smiled for the cameras.

The Sharks are scheduled to play their first regular season game in early October, following a short training camp and pre-season. All home games will be at the Cow Palace.
Attached Images
Image Image 
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote