View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #49
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonin View Post
One thing I wish the game would do for those who want to play stats-only is put something in the player profile where ratings would be. I don't have OOTP14, but for previous versions, having all that empty space where ratings would be looks very strange.

Playing with stats only makes sense, and I could grow to love playing that way, if only the player profile didn't look so strange.

Just my 2 cents.
Heh. This post points to how alike we all are, despite our differences. This bugs me too, my friend! Why I don't know but it's akin to the need to occasionally sort my sock drawer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody8200 View Post
The only thing that kills it for me is that you can't tell when a player loses his ability suddenly before making a big signing in the offseason. Or after an injury.
Cody, I respect what you say here but I agree with the others who said . . . that's [real] life!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
The thing that kills stats only for me is that it is not realistic.

In real life, GMs have stats and scouts. Sometimes, they say opposite things. Part of the skill is sorting that contrary information and weighing which one is right.
I think a few others mentioned that it is true realism, looking at it your way, to have the scouts and a written scouting report. The numbers and bars thing is not realistic if you really think about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UWHabs View Post
Going with a combination of the written scouting report and the stats I find is a great mix that gives me just enough info to judge players, but not too much that I feel like I know exactly how they will do.
Agree, if SO is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan34 View Post
When we in the forums refer to Stats-Only, we mean the non-use of ratings.
Yes! Let's not start that debate again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingturtle View Post
Stats Only saved the game for me. The ratings made the game way too easy and I had zero immersion. Whoever said it felt like Madden is dead-on. Personally, I use the reports still but I turn Scouting Accuracy to "low" so I'm made to trust them even less.

That's just me, though. I'm more likely to abandon a game I'm dominating than one which is dominating me. And when I do well with stats only--it is far more gratifying. I feel like a genuine baseball genius.
Nice summary of how one might feel who thinks the game is too easy and is looking for a greater challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon J. Scudworth View Post
To each their own, but I find the opposite -- I feel like the scouting report provides an unrealistic hodge-podge of contradictory information that an actual scout would never provide. The ratings are more coherent, and can be as foggy or as specific as you want.

The scouting reports kill immersion for me in the same way that it seems like the ratings do for you.
Thank goodness the motto around here is "Play the game your way!" and they mean it!

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote