View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007, 04:30 PM   #28
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxford View Post
I don't want to put them in one by one because at a low-level I've got a fair few suggestions (most, if not all, would bore the pants off a general game player - for example, in most places the year/season is a UInt32 plus one byte, but in a few it's a UInt16, so I'd have a suggestion along the lines of 'make it consistent').

I don't feel like they actually are worthy of posts in the main Suggestion forum and if the underlying database structure is something that isn't up for discussion then I won't bother making the big list.

I had a similar type of suggestion mocked by one of the team for the 2007 Suggestion thread when I said that there were derivable fields being stored in some tables, basically saying that I didn't know what I was talking about, and that is one of the reasons I am loathe to spend time listing them if I get a similar response.
Well, I don't know who mocked your suggestions, but I don't go in for the whole mocking thing, so I'd like you to go ahead and make your suggestions. Of course, if you want to recommend checking the consistency of 5 fields, we don't need 5 different suggestions. Just lump them under a header of "validating consistency of blah blah".

But, that said, I would say that checking the field types would be a separate suggestion from changing some values from derived fields to something else, etc. Basically, just group your suggestions logically. I'd put these suggestions in the Tools section, for lack of a better place.

To be honest, I have no idea if the underlying database structure is "up for discussion." With any of these suggestions, I think there's a chance that Markus may say "Not enough return on the investment of my time," or possibly that some changes aren't desirable because they would change the format of league files and cause conversion headaches and such.

But please, don't let some comment someone made deter you!

Steve