View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 12:15 AM   #6
M's rule
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambermonk
Note that the text stated that the ball was popped on the infield, right side. There isn't much room on the right side of the infield. The first baseman would have half of the right side, and presumably the pitcher would have the front of the right side.
Ambermonk:

I dissected the PbP excerpt to narrow down the problem. Text category names (from the XML Cheat Sheet) are in all caps. Numbers in front of text lines are category number and object number, from the XML file.

SWING
189-11365 the batter swings...
FLYBALL_POPUP
226-6451 it’s popped high in the air...
[not in XML] on the infield, right side...
----The above line is in the game code, not in the XML file. I don’t know what triggers it, or how it affects the display of later messages. I’ve seen it cause a similar sort of problem before.
FLYBALL_CHARGE_HARD
243-5579 running at full speed is [2nd baseman]
-----This category uses the [%game fielder] token, which (I think) can return the name of any infielder or outfielder. However, the category seems designed for describing the sort of play an outfielder would make—infielders aren’t usually thought of as charging when they run after a fly ball. In this case, it seems as though the “on the infield” line pulled from the game code might have dictated that [%game fielder] has to be one of the infielders on the right side. Or maybe the location of the batted ball was determined before the “on the infield line” was called; I can’t tell. At any rate, somewhere between now and the end of the play, [%game fielder] changed.
FIELDER_EFFORT_MISSED
217-13440 but he can't make the play...
-----Seems okay, normal extension of the event
BALL_DROPS_FOR_HIT
253-14344 that'll fall in...
-----Likewise
ADVANCE_BASE_3
14-31 [runner] reaches third base...
-----And after this line, the rest of the message comes from within the game, so I can’t determine how the right fielder got involved.
[not in XML] [runner] is on his way home...
[not in XML] but [rightfielder] just brings it into the infield...
[not in XML] he scored...
[not in XML] a RBI single by [batter]

Entered this glitch as TT #2159.
M's rule is offline   Reply With Quote