Thread: Rule 5 players
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 12:10 PM   #9
BMW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AESP_pres View Post
From the MLB website:

" What happens when a player is selected in the Rule 5 Draft?

A team that selects a player in the Rule 5 Draft pays $50,000 to the team from which he was selected. The receiving team must then keep the player on the Major League 25-man roster for the entirety of the next season, and the selected player must remain active (not on the disabled list) for a minimum of 90 days. If the player does not remain on the Major League roster, he is offered back to the team from which he was selected for $25,000. If his original team declines, the receiving team may waive the player."

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/minorleagues/rule_5.jsp?mc=faq
Waiving the player, means that every team in the league can pick up that player. From what I recall in the past, if another team was awarded the player from a claim they were obligated to the Rule 5 stipulations (must be on 25 man, etc.).

In short, Rule 5 is several times more complex than what OOTP does. But there is no shortage of roster management rules that OOTP only approximates to a certain degree. Mainly because of the complexity and the fact that the number of times the rule takes applies to a significant player in the real world are often a few times a decade.

For example (and these rules can change every CBA, so not certain if they are out of date - but they are real examples), under certain situations players could get an additional year of pro experience before being eligible for Rule 5 drafts (and I'm not talking about the age when the player was drafted which determines if they have 4 or 5 years). In the real world, players cannot be added and removed from the 40 man roster indefinitely. The second time they are removed the player can invoke a right to declare themselves a free agent.

There's just so many of these rules that maybe 1 in every 100,000 fans realize exists. I know Le Grande Orange has an even better knowledge of them than I do. He and I have hunted down copies of the "Blue Book" which holds all the almost-clerical, paperwork-jockey level minutia that dictates how the major and minor league transactions work. They go even deeper into the detail than the CBA (and cover periods of the games in the 40s, 50s, 60s etc. where the CBAs weren't posted publicly like they are today).

Last edited by BMW; 03-21-2019 at 12:22 PM.
BMW is offline   Reply With Quote