View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #66
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinerGB View Post
Well I've played FM since it was Championship Manager in the mid 90's. The best game was probably CM 01/02 (which I still play on occasion), I like Baseball but I LOVE football (soccer) and always have. I'm new to OOTP and it's great but I'd be betraying my roots and arguably my nation if I chose anything other than Football Manager.

I'm actually surprised it's a popular sell in the States. I would imagine most people play teams in the Big European leagues rather than the mess that is the MLS?
You'd be correct on that, but playing the MLS is fun just like playing a lower division game below the Premiership is fun, for example. Trying to import a big star, etc, etc.

I just recently got a new machine and am still purchasing software, FM is actually the next thing I'm installing -- but it won't get more play over OOTP for some time.

I, like you, have been playing since it was the old Championship Manager. I played soccer in the States, and honestly, I used to always find the games in the "bargain bin" at the Best Buy or software store in those years. I love the cerebral games.

That being said, yes, you deal more with people in FM. A lot of things in the game that people look at as bonuses just wouldn't translate cross-sport, though. Most major football programs have differing styles of training, whereas baseball practice is pretty much the same everywhere.

I would love to see more dealing with the media and individual players in OOTP -- but it still has always taken the cake over FM for me. I love the beautiful game, so its definitely not an American bias type of thing. I love BOTH games, they just do different things for me. The important thing is they both stimulate my brain, and I don't need twitch reflexes to be competitive. Also, as a writer, and especially someone who loves writing dynasty reports -- both games provide stories for someone who wants to tell them, which is a huge plus for me.

I feel both games are must buys at this point every new iteration.