View Single Post
Old 05-25-2018, 11:26 AM   #91
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster007 View Post
Trading for a 34 yr old pitcher is something you'd do if you are ready to win now. I don't see Lee making up the wins the A's need to be a contender in the short window left in Lee's career and giving up an asset like Garvey was too high a price.Interested to see how this works out.
Forgot to mention the Athletics have two more years of control with Lee (which means they should be out from under his contract after his age 35 season), while the Highlanders have three with Garvey (he leaves after his age 29 season). It'll be interesting to follow for sure. I'm not sure you can qualify it as a win now move when you give up a 27 year old stud #3 hitter to get him. I think the AI looked at it like: we've got a great offense, but gawd does our pitching ever suck. Time to do something. Lee gives them two years to build something behind him to be ready for when he leaves. Right now they have 21 year old Terry Larkin (four more years of control) at the top of their rotation, and 27 year old Steve Cooke is a decent mid-rotation guy, but outside of that they still desperately need help.

Last edited by actionjackson; 05-31-2018 at 10:48 PM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote