View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 01:02 PM   #32
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Thanks. Everyone has their preferences. It seems you like to get everyone in the game and to use as many players as possible in the majors, which I understand.

I instead hate clutter. I felt like the league had gotten cluttered. Partly my fault for setting too many round in the draft, and I have now set it to 5 rounds as you do, though to avoid too many awful and useless players (we differ on this question I think), I set it for enough players for 8 round, even if we only draft 5.

So, two things I want to avoid are: 1) too many players especially ones that just sit in minors or on rosters without being useful to teams; and 2) players who in real life did not do much.

To clarify: a mediocre player is fine, I like those. I don't like having a whole draft of players who had 1 at bat in their whole career, or who had 40 at bats in one season and then nothing. So after that one season, I want them to disappear soon.

A third thing I don't like, though I know a lot of people here like it for the variable aspect of this game, is having a player who had one at bat ever, or a pitcher who pitched 7 innings in his whole career lead the league in batting or win the Cy Young Award.

I understand this is fun for some people, but it ruins the "realism" (I know, I know) of the game for me. I don't mind if Sam Bowens hits 40 home runs, or Ed Kranepool is an MVP, that is a variation. But someone who never got out of the dugout being better than Babe Ruth might as well be a game using fictional players to me.
Hence my interest in cleaning the rosters up and the tools of age limits at each minor league level and max years of pro service I think allow me to do that without doing violence to the game or league itself.

As to injuries: I know I am lame, or lazy, but anything beyond "low" - which is where I set it, with player fatigue on "high", doesn't work for me.

I end up just being the medical report. Spend all the time moving players around to compensate for injuries rather than playing baseball.

So if my best player, and two best pitchers and another regular are all on the disabled list, even if it costs me the pennant, that's okay. It happens in real life.

But spending the whole time dealing with injuries, daily, real world or not, gets boring. You try to sim a week and you don't get one day done without two or three injuries, and you are tempted to turn on the TV instead, or get work done even, and you know where that leads...
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote