View Single Post
Old 04-05-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
jfalesi
Bat Boy

Editor potential doesn't match export talent

I have a question that may just be scratching the surface of a larger issue I've been wondering about. I recently undertook the effort to create my 2014 Yahoo fantasy team in OOTP14. I've done this before via importing historical players and been unsatisfied with the results, so I used a different tactic this time: I imported each player from his youngest year in the league and modified his potential ratings to match his prime years, using the "Create potential ratings based on stats" option. I did this because I wanted to simulate the "best-case" scenario in which all my players came into the majors at the same time and form a dynasty. However, after editing everyone's potential ratings and exporting rosters in csv format, I noticed that the "talent" ratings in the exported data do not match the "potential" ratings in the game - even for attributes I did not modify, such as individual pitch potential.

For example, as you can see in the images below, although Hishashi Iwakuma's "Stuff" and "Control" potential in the editor match the "talent_stuff" and "talent_control" ratings in the export, none of the other values match. Granted, they're not off by much, but still, there's something else going on here. So... what's going on? What else is affecting the exported values, which presumably are the values that the game engine uses for player development?

This is probably related to a more general question about player development - is there a way to keep imported players' development linked to their initial potential ratings as opposed to being modified by the players' real-life performance in subsequent years? I always wanted to see what Bo Jackson would do if he hadn't been injured playing football, but whenever I import him, his yearly potential ratings always change based on his real-life performance, thus requiring yearly modifications. I believe that what I'm looking for is equivalent to creating a fictional player - along with a player development model - that is as close as possible to the imported player's "best-case" potential. My current work-around is to create a bunch of random fictional players and select the one that's closest to the real player's ideal ratings, but it would be nice if there was a less time-consuming method.

Thanks,
-Jamie
jfalesi is offline   Reply With Quote