View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #47
NatsToTheEnd
Bat Boy

Storyline: Player and Plane

Player Purchases New Plane
Joe Smith of the Houston Astros is looking to the skies after purchasing a new airplane this weekend. Smith bought the plane using money from his all-star bonus. The plane, a Cirrus SR-20, has a roughly 38 foot wingspan and can go 155 knots. Some including Smith’s wife, have voiced concerns over his safety, but the 32-year-old middle reliever isn’t worried. “I know that Joe is going to be very careful about this plane, and I’m gonna make sure of it!” Smith is very excited about the plane, but isn’t quite sure what he plans to do with it. “I’m no totally sure yet,” he said. “First I want to find some pilots to fly me around!”

Player Becomes Licensed Pilot
Joe Smith, the setup man for the Houston Astros, has taken up other interests. Last Monday, Smith passed a flying test to become a certified pilot. Six months ago, Smith bought a new plane with money given to him by the Astros for being voted to the All-Star game. Upon the purchase, Smith began taking the necessary steps to be legally allowed to operate his new toy. “I wanted to experience the thrill of cutting through the air, free of all life’s stresses and tribulations,” said an ecstatic Smith. Smith’s plane, a Cirrus SR-20, is known for its stability and safety, much to the liking of the Astros, and Smith’s wife!

Player flies himself to Road Games
Joe Smith, the 34-year-old Houston veteran, has been missing from the team plane during the team’s recent road trip. Yet, Smith is never late to the ball park. The reason: Smith has his own ride. Two years ago, he purchased a Cirrus SR-20 personal jet using bonus money given to him by to the all-star reliever by the Astros. After gaining a pilot’s license, Smith continual practiced his skills in the cockpit, and has decided to use his plane to travel from place to place. “It is a real shame Joe has stopped flying with us,” said teammate John Brown. “He is a great conversationalist, and a real fun guy to have around.” Though he knows his presence is missed by his colleagues, Smith says it’s hard to beat the thrill of the air. “It is just such an amazing feeling to be up in the air,” remarked the 12-year Astros 8th-inning-man. “To be able to look down, and see everything so small, it does wonders for a man’s ego.”

Player becomes Local Legend for Flying Exploits
Is it a bird? NO! Is it a plane? YES. But who is in it? How about 35-year old Astros reliever Joe Smith. Smith, a 13-year setup man out of Rice, bought the plane 3 years ago, and has since become a highly talented pilot. Smith has become a staple at local airshows, and consistently places high in competition. “I thought I was good until I saw Joe Smith hop into the cockpit,” said pilot Walter Brumfield. “The aurora of confidence he carries is truly stupendous.” Not all, however, are as happy as Walter with Smith’s flying. “I wish he would put as much dedication into his curveball as he does into flying!” said Pitching coach Steve O’Reilly, jokingly. Also, the reliever wife is less supportive. “I know Joe loves it and all, but I can’t help but worry that something awful is going to happen to him,” said Pamela Smith.

Player Dies in Horrific Plane Crash
The baseball world has been rocked by the death of Astros closer Joe Smith, who died early Tuesday morning in a plane crash. After closing out a 1-0 game on Monday night, the 36-year-old reliever hoped into his reliable Cirrus SR-20 the following morning to prepare for an airshow. We don’t know what happened next, but before anyone knew what was going on, the charred body of Joe Smith, buried under debris, was lying on a local road. A crowd formed and paramedics were called, but it was too late for Smith. An autopsy revealed that the 14-year veteran died immediately upon impact. An initial report stated that Smith’s plane fell from the sky after the engine stalled, for whatever reason. Astros GM Billy Cronkite said in a press statement that “we the members of the Astros organization are shocked beyond words in response to this terrible act that has befallen one of our own. Our heartfelt support goes out to his family and friends. “I always worried when Joe was up in the air,” said his wife, Pamela Smith. “Though there is no good that can or will come from this horrible disaster, I am thankful for one thing. I am happy that Joe Smith died doing what he loved.” Smith is survived by his wife and two daughters, Beatrice (8) and Betty (6).

Effects- Overall

Rise in Local Popularity
Lowering in Work Ethic
Lowering in Work Ethic
Retirement via Death

*** Not all of these stories have to be included every time , especially the final one***

Baseball misses you Cory Lidle.
NatsToTheEnd is offline   Reply With Quote