View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 12:37 AM   #53
DaddyO
Minors (Triple A)

To further underscore what I just posted, let me share the post I made to start a thread on the DMB forums immediately after pre-ordering.

I titled the thread:
"Get Out Your Tar and Feathers, Pitchforks, Nooses and Shotguns..."

Quote:
I did it. Again.

The more news that came out about the upcoming realease of the latest OOTP version, the more I paid attention. I can't help myself. What truly got my attention was the completely revamped interface. The bewildering interface, trying to familiarize myself with where the screen was that I needed, or the complexity of navigation required for what should be simple tasks, this was one of two prime issues that caused me to skip buying OOTP every other year, and to never sustain my interest even when I did by it. It was too much work and frustration. The other prime issue was the in-game action frequently deviated from what I would expect in a real MLB game.

But I'm going to give them another chance. I've pre-ordered OOTP 13 as my one and only birthday present this year. If things go as in the past, I will regret this decision and end up putting it aside within a month or less. That may well end up the case again. I hope not. It could just be another instance of Spring Fever getting the best of me.

Anway, whatever devices of punishment and torture are your preference, have at me. I'm expecting it.

I halfway feel like doing it to myself. You see, I am a Seattle Mariners fan. We're kinda of like Chicago Cubs wannabes. The only thing we lack to get there is more time. Actually, the whole thing is an apt metaphor for the Seattle Mariners, because this spring we begin to see signs of hope for a team turnaround just around the horizon if not this year. But like with OOTP, I won't be surprised if it turns out to be an illusion and I'm disappointed again.

And here's what I posted a few minutes ago in the same thread:

Quote:
It's ironic that the long-awaited DMB patch becomes public knowledge on the same day OOTP13 is released to those who pre-ordered.

I did not ge much chance to fool with it today, but what time I did spend left me impressed with how much more intuitive the revamped interface has become. I find that where in previous editions I was hopelessly tangled in how to do what I wanted to do, and even figuring out what I needed to do. Not only that, but the screens seemed so inconsistent that figuring everything out was just a chore. Well, no more it seems. I found myself picking things up quickly, and things felt intuitive. I didn't need to do detailed research on every little thing.

The other major impediment for me to for getting into OOTP was the frequent lack of realistic play in-game. That I have not yet had a chance to examine, but I will next week. I will post further impressions then.

Everyone's mileage will vary, and this is just the opinion of one guy on the DMB forum, but I am hopeful that finally, on my fifth try since 2006, I will find OOTP taking root in my baseball simming. This is not a repudiation of DMB, since OOTP is really a GM sim rather than an in-game sim.