View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 12:25 AM   #52
DaddyO
Minors (Triple A)

OK, finally got a chance to post this.

I am probably not among the majority of commenters in that, having purchased a few of the previous versions, 2006, I think, 2008 and 2009, and then 2011. Every time I hoped that I would get "into" it like I read from so many others. And every time I didn't.

Reasons? Primarily twofold. First, the interface was too complex, and too difficult for me to navigate. Frankly, it was so much work to set up, and some of the interfaces seemed counterintuitive or inconsistent. Second, my primary enjoyment of baseball sims has been playing out the games, with all the attendant drama, immersion, and the familiarity with your players that such an approach brings. In all my previous OOTP experiences the game has suffered from unrealistic game action, most expecially on the bases, but other things as well.

Because of these issues, I have until now stuck with my tried and true baseball text sim, Diamond Mind Baseball. It's quite dated, but the emphasis is on playing out games, and it does that so very well that I continued with it.

So it was with great reluctance that I pre-ordered OOTP 13. My reluctance was overcome with the prospect of a complete overhaul of the screens and interface. I hoped that if that impediment was removed, I might be able to enjoy the state of the art benefits that OOTP brings, and I might be able to approach it differently as a GM sim primarily and not one where playing out the games was primary.

I have had little time to work with OOTP today, but I can definitely say that I have quickly picked up navigating the program in a way I was unable to do previously. I like the look. And I can figure things out, I think.

So THUMBS UP to Markus and all who helped for overcoming one of my two major hurdles, at least in my preliminary use of the program.

I'll be sure and post more, especially about in-game play, once I get more time.

I am well-known on the DMB boards, and I posted before today that I was looking again at OOTP this year. I will also post my impressions of it on the DMB boards also, since that game is not being further developed.

Each person's mileage may vary, but my impressions so far are very positive.